Nikon D850 used vs grey

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just did a search and got some info but would like some more guidance.

I have had a D850 now for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. I have been wanting a 2nd "matching" body for a while now but I have not been shooting enough to justify the cost. This year things are picking up and I just booked an event that will help with that cost.

Now I am ready to buy. I hit my 3 main places and the manufacture to buy a new unit are "out of stock" with no listing on when that might change. I have web searched like crazy and find none in-stock. If anyone knows where to find one in stock I will buy it now.

The event is in 6 weeks so I have some time, but also not a lot.

This has lead me to looking at other alternatives, being grey market and used units. I did see B&H has grey market cameras in-stock, however they are listed at full retail price..........
Since I am not able to buy new due to availability, what are the pros/cons of used vs grey?

Last edited:
nikon d850 can be bought new .. there are plenty around o_O .. or perhaps I misinterpreted the question ..

if the budget is not problem for you, then you might consider something else as secondary camera .. for example Nikon D780 could be great addition to D850 because of video capabilities, smaller files, great build ....

nikon d850 can be bought new .. there are plenty around o_O .. or perhaps I misinterpreted the question ..
Please show me a link to a reputable US company with a US warranty (not grey market) that has one in stock. I will buy it today. Even direct from Nikon they are on back order. I can find lots of grey market ones for sale, especially from vendors that have horrible reputations.

I have 2 other Nikons now. I am not looking for a different model. When shooting an event having 2 cameras with the same controls in the same location is almost priceless.

For me the big difference between used and grey is:
- Used: Nikon USA will repair a used USA camera (imported into the US by Nikon USA).
- Grey: Nikon USA will NOT repair a grey market camera. So you would have to find an independent shop that will that repair for you.

When I bought my 70-200/4, that was one of my criteria.
And guess what, I had to send it in to Nikon USA to repair the VR. Which they did for $$$, but they DID the repair.

There was a recent article about someone who purchased a Nikon P1000 from WalMart and it turned out to be grey market. It failed and Nikon would not honor the warranty.

Please show me a link to a reputable US company with a US warranty (not grey market) that has one in stock. I will buy it today. Even direct from Nikon they are on back order. I can find lots of grey market ones for sale, especially from vendors that have horrible reputations.

I have 2 other Nikons now. I am not looking for a different model. When shooting an event having 2 cameras with the same controls in the same location is almost priceless.

That is a grey market unit. It is the one I mentioned in my original post. If I am going to buy a grey market camera it will not be for full retail. At least BH is a reputable dealer.

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.32.51 AM.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would consider a grey market lens, but not a grey market body. Not only will you have to find a shop willing to repair at your own cost, but one that can get parts. No gray market body for me. I shoot mostly 1995 manual focus glass that doesn't have a motor to go bad.

Seems B&H has been emailing customers on a waiting list. The D850 body is being discontinued. Sorry. Used?

Seems B&H has been emailing customers on a waiting list. The D850 body is being discontinued. Sorry. Used?
Seems B&H erred. D850 isn't discontinued.

Would have been interesting discontinuing it with no replacement announced.

I was on a list for D850 from B&H, but for a Nikon USA refurbished model and received a no longer available email for the refurbished stock. They still list new and even used ones.

But for the price difference, only $400 more for new when you're spending $2,500 anyway, I'd vote just get a new one.

Just got an email from them saying the discontinured email was a “system error”.

Most reactions

Back