Nikon D90 or D200

Joshua907

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im trying to do some photography on the side for some extra cash and want to get a second, upgrade camera. I currently have a D60, and am looking at either the D90 or the D200, because of budget issues. I can/will do most anything from weddings, concerts, sports, even family portraits if your not looking for studio quality, ect.

I have the 18-55mm and also a 70-200mm Nikkor AF VR G lenses, will these be compatible with either/both these cameras?

D90.

CMOS > CCD

D200 does have 1/8000 shutter and a metal body... but Meh... I'd take the newer technology.

Yep D90. Much better sensor than the D200. You might consider a used D300 instead if you really need the build and AF system. The D200 is old technology. Your lenses will work fine on all three.

D90, with out a doubt.

Im trying to do some photography on the side for some extra cash and want to get a second, upgrade camera. I currently have a D60, and am looking at either the D90 or the D200, because of budget issues. I can/will do most anything from weddings, concerts, sports, even family portraits if your not looking for studio quality, ect.

I have the 18-55mm and also a 70-200mm Nikkor AF VR G lenses, will these be compatible with either/both these cameras?

D700 or D3s

I have a D200 and got the chance to use a D90 + grip the other day. Works well. Picture are great and I'd recommend the camera to anyone. I wouldn't buy one myself because of the body materials, and how reckless I am with cameras. My criteria is that a camera must have a metal body. But realistically the D200 is quite old technology by now. It still takes good pictures, but feature wise, and in high iso conditions the D90 really matches or outdoes the D200.

That said if you can find a D200 for a steal than I say go for it. But if you can pick up a new D90 for the same price, I'd recommend the D90.

CMOS > CCD

Oft quoted, and wrong. But the D90's sensor is > D200's.

I think probably go for the D90...

d200 pros:
about $200 cheaper used
will meter with ais lenses (this is huge for me)
metal body

d200 cons:
low battery life
no video
lower quality sensor (d90 has the d300 sensor)

summary: if u want to save $$ on the body and by using ais glass the d200 is a good choice.

In terms of image quality, the D90 is a far better camera than the D200!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back