Nikon D90 or D200

the OP mentioned shes buying either of the two used and said she found a good deal on both, each with their own lenses. body arguments aside, what are the lenses each are being sold with?

but anyone else noticed how she hasnt come back to this topic since? lol

D200 is going to be 3 generations old soon. I'd rather be able to take better pictures than have a metal body.

and yes the D90 does 4.5fps.

Don't worry about the 10 non-cpu lenses.

3 generations old doesn't mean it will take worst pictures than a D7000, sure it will have limitations that may hinder certain creative pursuits but otherwise the pictures delivered can still be of the highest quality depending on skill and post-process treatment.

D80 image: 1x.com - Bo by Lifeware

as for the '10 non-cpu lenses' there's much more than that when looking outside of Nikon's older Ai/Ai-S lenses. i have a friend who owns two Zeiss lenses, 85 1.4 and 50 1.4. on a D60 and he can't meter with them but on mine he could and he actually found that to be an amazing feature to have and the next body he buys will now have to be able to meter with non-cpu lens after realizing there are bodies that can.

that ziest 85 mm is over 1200$
I would invest that money on something that can at least meeter on the body i own.

that's one way of looking at it, another is, you have a decent body why not invest in glass?

but truth be told, the main reason it came about that way is he is a videographer first and uses his Nikon lenses with a mount adapter. D60 was a side purchase for photographic pursuits and he got the Zeiss primes after having bought the body. so he grew to live with it considering even when using for his video-projects he had to MF anyway...

but this wasnt about his purchasing choice/decision, it was merely a counter example to what the other poster said about 10 non-cpu lenses...

sorry 12 non-cpu lenses. all of which examples can be had as CPU versions.

Even cool older lenses like the 58 1.2 Noct Ai-S

Nikon Lenses

sorry 12 non-cpu lenses. all of which examples can be had as CPU versions.

Even cool older lenses like the 58 1.2 Noct Ai-S

Nikon Lenses

I'm not sure where "10" or "12" non-cpu lenses come from... every lens nikon made before the late 80's was non-cpu, we're likely talking 100's of lenses

Also, there are many desirable that can only be had in cpu versions. 50 and 58mm f1.2, 15mm prime, 8mm fisheye, 24mm f2, 600mm f5.6

But that's not the real value of non-cpu compatibility, the cost savings is a larger factor: You'll pay two to three times as much for the new version, and the glass isn't any better. And often autofocus just isn't that important (wide-angle or macro).

For those that want to add a professional quality macro and wide angle lenses to their kit, they can save around $1000 by opting for AIS lenses without sacrificing any image quality.

What have you decided? And do you know where you are buying from?

ALL AI and AI-S lenses will work with a D90 and a D200: Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

EDIT: Will not meter but who cares? Hardly seems worth it. it's digital, you take a couple bracketing shots and go. So if you don't want to have to take bracketing shots on a non CPU lens then I would stick with the D200.

we know that, they're all F-mounts, they're all 'compatible' (only Nikon lens that wont work are pre-AI lens)...what we're discussing is metering...the D90 does not meter with those lenses (from what others have mentioned. i personally wouldn't know) i do know that with my D200 i can meter with non-cpu lenses.

if you want provide a link showing the D90 CAN meter with these lenses than thats something worth posting...what you've relayed to us we've all known and wasn't the point being discussed...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back