Nikon D90, Refurbished or Used

Haileyrenee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! I'm looking to purchase a Nikon D90. I would like some suggestions on whether buying a refurbished camera or a used camera? Also, where would be a good, trusted site to look at to buy? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hailey

I purchased a refurbished body only from Cameta Camera. They offer a dealer warranty beyond the 90-day refurb warranty if you're interested...I wasn't...

Paid approx $650.00 and am very happy...

I've heard good things about adorama, keh, and bhphotovideo. :) I havent bought anything from the personally, though.

I'd go with refurbished rather than used. When it's refurbished, whatever didn't work was replaced or fixed, and the camera was then fully tested by Nikon. And because Nikon's warranty is only a year, you know the camera was used for less time than that.

I bought my D70 used from B&H, works great. I've never been burned buying from reputable dealers.

Arcooke makes a valid point. Also, maybe you should make the purchase from B&H or BestBuy so that you could buy the extended warranty on it for a couple of years as well. If something goes wrong after 90 days, you wouldn't have to pay a substantial amount to the manufacturer and wait for months before you could get it back.

Most refurbished cameras are returns from buyers that had buyers remorse, had unrealistic expectations for the camera's performance, or because of ignorance thought the camera was malfunctioning when it wasn't.

A much smaller number are returns that needed some kind of repair because of a defect in materials or workmanship during assembly. A few are cameras used in the factory for various purposes or that were on display at a Nikon booth at trade shows.

Refurbished cameras that need it are returned to like new condition but because of legal issues cannot be sold as new.

All refurbished cameras get individually tested for correct functioning and calibration, but with new cameras only a random sampeling gets individual testing.

Nikon's warranty only applies to the original owner, but Nikon warranties the cameras they refurbish for 90 days.

Used Nikon cameras have no Nikon warranty because the warranty only applies to the original owner. Some camera buyers purchase 3rd party extended warranties that may, or may not, be transferable to a new owner.

I bought my refurbished D5000 from Cameta Camera and have had great luck with it. Couldn't tell it from new.

+1 Refurbished from Adorama. They give you 30 days return policy with no questions asked and no RMA. You'll probably get a free photo book from them too. You upload photos to them and design your own book on their software.

Most refurbished cameras are returns from buyers that had buyers remorse, had unrealistic expectations for the camera's performance, or because of ignorance thought the camera was malfunctioning when it wasn't.

A much smaller number are returns that needed some kind of repair because of a defect in materials or workmanship during assembly. A few are cameras used in the factory for various purposes or that were on display at a Nikon booth at trade shows.

Refurbished cameras that need it are returned to like new condition but because of legal issues cannot be sold as new.

All refurbished cameras get individually tested for correct functioning and calibration, but with new cameras only a random sampeling gets individual testing.

Nikon's warranty only applies to the original owner, but Nikon warranties the cameras they refurbish for 90 days.

Used Nikon cameras have no Nikon warranty because the warranty only applies to the original owner. Some camera buyers purchase 3rd party extended warranties that may, or may not, be transferable to a new owner.

this is good to read ketih. thanks for the info.
this is very timely as the tax return has arrived, and im ready to pull the trigger on an adorama D90 refurb.
keith, do you happen to know if shutter replacement is fairly typical?
my only fear is getting a refurb with 50k clicks on it. is that a risk at all?

looking to order monday or tuesday...psyched!

just a question. why buy refurb D90 when new ones are $745 at amazon?

for me personally, i was initially on a $500 budget....i have since stretched that to $650 to get the refurb.
adding another $100 might not be feasible.
i was also unaware that amazon had them for 745 up until you told me. thanks for making the decision more difficult! ;)

my only fear is getting a refurb with 50k clicks on it. is that a risk at all?

looking to order monday or tuesday...psyched!

Check dealnews.com and adorama.com and BH.com a couple times a day between now and then for price changes. They go up and down. I saw the D90 refurb at adorama for $600 2 weeks ago, then it went back up.

I recommend deciding an acceptable shutter count now. Then when you get it you can keep it or send it back. Adorama has 30 day returns with no questions asked. BH is 15 days. You will lose shipping both directions though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back