Nikon D90 & SB-900 Off camera Question?

clickasmile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys

I wanted to know whats the best way to use my SB-900 off the camera? I know a way of doing it via the pop up flash, but what about if I don't want to use the pop up flash is there other way of using my SB-900 remotely? Go easy this is my 1st post! ;)

You can fire the SB-900 several different ways! Via the CLS system using the pop-up flash. Or if you have another flash that can act as a commander (or an SU-800), you can control an OC flash that way. These all allow TTL flash also.

Nikon CLS Practical Guide
Nikon CLS Home Page

There are also wireless flash triggers that you can get.. the less expensive ones are manual flash only, and some fo the more expensive triggers also allow TTL (Pocketwizards).

Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger Set V2s - Gadget Infinity
PocketWizard® - Remote flash and camera triggers for professional and advanced amateur photographers

You can also fire the SB-900 as a straight optical slave.. where it goes off automatically if it sees another flash.

Strobist: Q&A: How to Use Your Nikon SB-900 in Optical Slave Mode

Thanks for your reply. Am thinking about going down the wireless trigger router as I also have a Portable Studio which I can make use of it for. Would you be able to recommend me a good one that will work with the SB-900 and Studio Lighting?

Thanks for your reply. Am thinking about going down the wireless trigger router as I also have a Portable Studio which I can make use of it for. Would you be able to recommend me a good one that will work with the SB-900 and Studio Lighting?

I use the pocket wizards.. and highly recommend them. I also know several people here that use the Cactus Triggers. Do a search on "wireless Triggers" here.. you will find lots of info.. it is popular question. Depending on what "Studio Lighting" you have... most wireless triggers will work, as long as they have a cable out... and you have the correct cable to fit the lights that you have.

Thanks very Much Guys. I've looked into the SG-31R But it doesn't look professional to me....Cheap cover more like..

Most reactions

Back