Nikon Entry Level DSLR

TheModelHorse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I'm looking into buying my first personal DSLR camera. I've used my boss' old Sony DSLR a lot over the past year, and I've also messed around with a couple friends' cameras. I know for sure I want a Nikon, mainly because I've owned the brand before and trust it. Up until now I've been shooting with a Nikon Coolpix AW100 and my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. I also have a Nikon N80 film camera, but I can't afford to buy and develop the amount of film I would go through using only that. I mainly photograph children and animals, often in a dim barn isle or living room. I need something that will preform in low light settings with subjects who don't stay still. I also shoot horseback riding lessons and camp activities, so I need to be able to catch fast moving subjects as well. The lighting should be much better for those pictures though.

After doing some research and trying out a friend's Nikon D3100, I've narrowed it down to two choices; the D3100 or the D7000. I don't think I necessarily need the D7000 at this point, but I've heard that many people grow out of the D3100 pretty quickly. I really don't want to buy a new body in a year. My budget is $1200 total, for the body and lense(s). So my question is: should I go ahead and buy the D7000 with the hopes that I will grow into, rather than out of, it? Or do I get the D3100 and spend the extra cash on better lenses?

If you think there is another camera in my price range that would be better suited to what I'm doing, then please let me know.

Thanks!

Good call on the D7000, I think. Since it has been iterated/upgraded to the D7100, the D7000 is now a really good deal at many retailers. It's a nice,lightweight,compact d-slr, with a good sensor, at a good price. I would look for a D7000, the 18-105 or 18-135 Nikkor zoom lens, and the SB-700 flash unit. That would be a really nice setup. Throw in the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens or the 50mm f/1.8 AF-D for an 'economy' yet high-speed prime lens for low-light work.

Do you know how it does without a flash? I don't use a flash about 99% of the time because I shoot horses who are easily spooked, and candids of children.

Do you know how it does without a flash? I don't use a flash about 99% of the time because I shoot horses who are easily spooked, and candids of children.

It does fairly well. You need good glass though.

Quite well in my opinion. Of course like every camera it depends on the light. The D7000 is better than many in low light and not nearly as good as many others.

You may as well face facts though: Sooner or later you're going to have to learn to use a flash.

You may as well face facts though: Sooner or later you're going to have to learn to use a flash.

I think you misunderstood me: I don't use a flash because I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I have a camera, and because I don't want to scare the large animals that I work with. Not because I don't know how to use one.

I think you misunderstood me: I don't use a flash because I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I have a camera, and because I don't want to scare the large animals that I work with. Not because I don't know how to use one.

No, I didn't misunderstand. But you do as you see fit.

I own a D5100 and a D7100. I purchased the D5100 in January and the D7100 within the last week. I wouldn't say that I "outgrew" the D5100 necessarily. I needed a second backup camera and decided to go with the D7100 because it had more Mp and a number of other improvements over the D5100. The D7100 is now my primary and the D5100 is my backup. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have gone straight to the D7000 or D7100. I prefer the exterior buttons of the D7100 to the menu-driven D5100, although the articulating screen of the D5100 is useful for shooting video. In choosing a new camera for yourself, you need to consider the tech specs of each camera, the prices, and then personal preferences that you can only develop by holding and tinkering with the various models. I would highly recommend going into a camera shop or other technology outlet and seeing if you have a preference of one model over another. My bottom line would be to recommend the D7100 because I love mine, but I think you need to formulate your own opinions! Happy hunting!

Both are really nice cameras! I started with the D3100 and loved it until I hit the point where what I needed was missing in the body. For your needs go for the Nikon d7000 it is faster and has an auto focus motor within the body! So if you buy a lenses without autofocus in the lens then you are fine! You can't go wrong with the d7000 since it is one of the top Nikon DX bodies out there. The d3100 is entry so you will grow out of it quicker once you develop your skills further! For the flash issue as long as the light is good like an outdoor track you are perfectly fine! The d3100 did fairly good in my opinion in low light so I assume the d7000 will be a lot better than it! Honestly though eventually you will need a flash for when the time comes. Indoor portraits of family members or people become such a pain without a flash, but for the horses you won't need it. I think the d7000 is the way to go for your needs!

Yep grew out of my entry camera in about 9months. So think starting with a D7000 is a great choice.
Buy with the 18-105vr and use for awhile determining what you may need later.

As to flash ignore those that say you will need it. Yes it's great to have and learn to use one.
But in your situations I wouldn't worry about it. I've been shooting for 6 years guess what no flash.

D7000 is the better choice, I outgrew my D3100 in about 3 months lol.

As a matter of interest it would be good to hear why people outgrew their cameras? What did you need it to do that it didn't?

As a matter of interest it would be good to hear why people outgrew their cameras? What did you need it to do that it didn't?

Better low light performance, built in af motor, better autofocus system, built in bracketing, more mp & magnesium alloy body.

These were some of the reasons I upgraded.

Better low light performance, built in af motor, better autofocus system, built in bracketing, more mp & magnesium alloy body.

These were some of the reasons I upgraded.

Thanks for clarifying the term "outgrow", I always thought it was something else.

Most reactions

Back