Nikon F1.4 50mm AF-D vs AF-S or do I even need to consider this?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I have an Ai-S F1.2 50mm. GREAT lens and I use it all the time. The only thing is it's MF. I am used to manual focus, but definitely will find AF very handy when shooting in events when things happen fast.

Looking at AF options for 50mm, there's AF-D and AF-S. Reading Ken Rockwell's review, it doesn't seem that AF-S is worth the extra money if I am using FX camera ( AF motor on the camera).

Or should I just keep using the F1.2? (I will keep the lens even if I find a AF replacement, not gonna sell something that my dad gave me).

BTW I will get them used, not brand new, so price will vary.

Last edited:
From what I've read the new af-s 50mm is noticeably sharper wide open, which is even more noticeable with a full-frame camera (you or ken seem to have that part backwards, the corners are softer with the af-d which is only noticable on an FX camera).

I own the 50mm f1.4 af-d and the 50mm f1.2 ais. They perform about identically at f1.4, the only difference being slightly nicer bokeh with the 1.2 due to the 9 aperture blades (yours may only have 7, only the later versions had 9).

Personally, I'm considering selling my f1.2 because I hardly ever use it--it's just so damn heavy compared to the f1.4--it probably weighs twice as much.

The new 50/1.4 AF-S focuses noticeably slower than the 1.4 AF-D model...so...that's possibly a factor. I dunno...what about the 50/1.8 AF-D model? It's widely available, cheaply. And, there's a new 1.8 AF-S G model due to be out in early June, at $219 new...complete with an aspherical element optical design,and potentially pretty awesome optics...

NONE of the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lenses impress me bokeh-wise....none of them...not the Ai,nor the Ai-S, nor the AF-D, nor the AF-S G....

If you are shooting between the apertures of F1.4-2.8 on a regular basis then go for the AF-S version. If not save yourself a stack of cash and get the AF-D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back