Nikon F4?

slate mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a Nikon D5000 that I love but would like to get into film as well. Now that I'm retired, i have the time to do this sort of stuff. And I find the idea of having knobs instead of menues a whole lot more to my liking ( I loved turning in my Blackberry and super notebook compter when I retired.) Is an F4 the way to go for about $250 or an N80 or 100? the 80 for $60 t0 $100 and the 100 for the same as the F4?
Thanks for the advice. Mike

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a Nikon D5000 that I love but would like to get into film as well. Now that I'm retired, i have the time to do this sort of stuff. And I find the idea of having knobs instead of menues a whole lot more to my liking ( I loved turning in my Blackberry and super notebook compter when I retired.) Is an F4 the way to go for about $250 or an N80 or 100? the 80 for $60 t0 $100 and the 100 for the same as the F4?
Thanks for the advice. Mike

The F4 is a monstrosity, good for a nice paperweight.

Why not look into Really classic cameras while you have the time and before you jump?

An old Kodak Retina IIIC or Zeiss Contessa. Maybe an old medium format folder (great lenses available and a much bigger negative).

I'll let others chime in here but why not something with some panache to go along with your knock-around? Believe me, it's a lot of fun when somebody asks, "What is That??.

I read the 'review' of the F4 there and almost lot my breakfast.

Yeah, it's weird how one of North America's foremost Nikon authorities, and the author of something like 19 instructional books on Nikon products has a high opinion of the F4, and yet you proclaim it a paperweight...hmmm....I wonder whose opinion carried more weight with more people??? Hmmm....

Did you fail to spot the OP's desire for a camera that uses a more analog-style interface than today's modal, menu-driven bodies, or what?

I read the 'review' of the F4 there and almost lot my breakfast.

Yeah, it's weird how one of North America's foremost Nikon authorities, and the author of something like 19 instructional books on Nikon products has a high opinion of the F4, and yet you proclaim it a paperweight...hmmm....I wonder whose opinion carried more weight with more people??? Hmmm....

Did you fail to spot the OP's desire for a camera that uses a more analog-style interface than today's modal, menu-driven bodies, or what?

It was a monstrosity. No comparison to the EOS-1, from the same period.

I havea couple F4's instock at work I have enjoyed playing with them. I do prefer the EOS-1n though. I do agree with the idea that maybe you should consider a true vintage camera. Probbly have alittle more fun.

Wow, what happened to straight forward info/advice?

I would definitely skip the cheap consumer bodies (n80) and go for a pro body (f4, f5, f100); it's worth the little extra $$.

The F4 and F100 are both great cameras, you can't go wrong with either. Both cost around the same today on the used market, about $175-$250.

Which one depends on what you're looking for, if you want the best technology for the $$, the f100 is the choice. If you want something that looks more retro the f4 is the choice, as the f100 looks exactly like a modern digital missing the lcd screen on the back.

The features of both are not staggeringly different. The F4 only has one autofocus point, whereas the f100 has five--that's about the only "stand-out" difference. I actually think the f4 auto-focuses a little faster then the f100 as it seems to have a stronger motor--but you pay for it with weight--the f4 is noticeably heavier then a f100. If you like to use old ais lenses, the f4 will give you full matrix metering with them--something no other nikon body will do.

NOTE: when buying an f4 make sure that both lcd screens in the viewfinder are not damaged/leaking. This is a VERY common problem (there are probably more bad f4's then good ones). Buying an F100 sight unseen is far less risky.

You may also want to consider an F5. They run about $100 more then the f4/f100, but I suspect they will hold their value better as 35mm film slrs go from users to collectors items.

I see your Nikon F4 and raise you my Nikkormat FTN with Vivitar 55-135mm f3.5

IMG_8793.jpg

little girls shoot plastic stuff, real men shoot metal. :mrgreen:

The F4 is the perfect camera for somebody that wants to utilize both AF (non G) and MF lenses to their maximum advantage. I have all the pro bodies up to the F4, and it, along with my F3's are the ones I use the most for 35mm film work. If you have G lenses, the F100 is a better choice, though.

The Nikon F4 has to be one of the greatest cameras ever in my opinion. Each there own, but yeah, if I had some extra cash I would buy one easy even today and I would shoot with it to.

There are a ton of top old film cameras out there for cheap. I recently got a Nikon FTN for almost $11.00! It's a great all manual, all metal, old camera. And every function still works. I've also used a Contaflex, Nikon FT3, and Canon AE1. All are good and now very cheap.

I love the old Zeiss cameras, but I would recommend sticking with Nikon because then you have easy access to 60 years' worth (or more?) of quality lenses and accessories that are more or less compatible.

Most reactions

Back