Nikon flash advice needed

govnamac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife is getting into portrait photography. We have a Nikon D100 with just the pop up flash. We are looking to get a speedlight, but really don't have much money to spend. I was looking at the SC-50DX for around $75. Is this a pretty good flash, taking into account that she is still largely a beginner in many aspects? Or should we look at something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It all depends on how much you want to spend really. I mean if you want to stay under $100.00 that's probably the best, if you can spend closer to $200.00 the SB600 speedlight is a fantastic flash you could get it used for $200.00 or less even on Amazon.

Funds are a bit tight, or I would go for that one. I wanted to stay under $100. If and when she becomes more serious about this, we could always upgrade later.

Funds are a bit tight, or I would go for that one. I wanted to stay under $100. If and when she becomes more serious about this, we could always upgrade later.

SB-50DX is ok if you had no other alternative. I think (but not sure) it will give you TTL with the D100 but has a low GN, 75 I think. If your funds are limited, you may want to consider one of the older but more powerful flashes such as the SB-24, 25, or 26. You can use these in the manual mode and still get great results. Sometimes you can find these on e-bay or craigs list for under $100.

Does the SB-50DX use expensive lithium batteries??? You know, like $7 per cell?? Or am I thinking of another small flash?

Does the SB-50DX use expensive lithium batteries??? You know, like $7 per cell?? Or am I thinking of another small flash?

Yes, now that you mention it, it does. It uses 2 CR123A lithiums. I think that was one of the reasons I sold the one I had a few years back.

My wife is getting into portrait photography. We have a Nikon D100 with just the pop up flash. We are looking to get a speedlight, but really don't have much money to spend. I was looking at the SC-50DX for around $75. Is this a pretty good flash, taking into account that she is still largely a beginner in many aspects? Or should we look at something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

got a 50mm f/1.8? if it's mostly outdoorsy stuff, that might be better than an on camera flash that will just xerox her subjects.

I was able to find my SB-600 in new condition with all accesories and box for $150 on Craigslist. I love buying gear on Craigslist. I also bought a Nikon 18-200mm in great condition for $320 on CL. The deals are out there, you just have to look often and maybe wait a little.

Get a remade nikon sb600 for a lil over a hundred

Most reactions

New Topics

Back