Nikon Flash

thinkricky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's an all around Nikon flash that's good to start with? Doesn't matter what brand I'm just looking to start working with flash.

Thanks.

Oh and it'll be an all around flash. Mobile. Not stationary. Something to take outside on the go portraits. Something along those lines.

Investgate the complexities of doing TTL, and Nikon iTTL flash, compared to the simplicity of doing manual flash.

Which Nikon camera, and where in the $50 to $600 price range for flash units do you want to be?

I know I'm answering before knowing what camera and budget you have, but the Metz Mecablitz A50 AF-1 is more powerful than any Nikon flash and costs less than the SB-900.

I'm planning to get one soon

hey, thinkricky, check out strobist.com's Lighting 101.
After comments and advice from several TPF'ers, I am down to deciding between the flash mentioned on strobist's Lighting 101--the LumoPro LP160--which, at $160, I could afford to get in the next month or so, and the SB700, which I'd probably try to find used, as it will be several months before I could spring for a new one.

I admit though, I'm still a bit confused by it all, and haven't had time to do the research to understand things better. So, I might be better off waiting until after February when I'm only doing ONE full-time job instead of a full-time real job and a 30-hr a week contract job.

What I haven't yet wrapped my head around is TTL vs Manual, how that plays into slave and commander modes, and how ALL of that would work, or NOT work, with my D5100.

IF I have understood it correctly, though, I am leaning toward the SB700, because I could use it off camera manually, or ON camera, by itself, OR as a commander flash to control a second, slave flash off-camera (but does the slave flash ALSO have to be the same brand??). On the other hand, maybe I should go ahead and just get the LumoPro, since I can't afford more than that anyway right now, and THEN get the SB700 later...

Good luck! If you decide what you're getting, let me know!! What kind of camera do you have, by the way?

D90 and anywhere between $50-300 i think depending on which one will work for me.

Great. Now all you have to decide if you are going to be in control of the light, or if the software program the Japanese software engineers wrote 5 years ago will be.

Great. Now all you have to decide if you are going to be in control of the light, or if the software program the Japanese software engineers wrote 5 years ago will be.
And if we answer that very-leading question correctly... ;) because of course WE want to be in control of the light...
what's your flash recommendation for under $300? Or in my case, I'd really like to stay under $250...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know I'm answering before knowing what camera and budget you have, but the Metz Mecablitz A50 AF-1 is more powerful than any Nikon flash and costs less than the SB-900.

The SB-28 has the same power as your Metz Mecablitz A 50 AF-1 and can be picked up for 1/3-1/2 the price. I picked up 3 that were practically brand new for $80/ea. Just sayin' :D

Pick up a SB-700.

The user interface is much better than anything cheaper, and it's perfect for what you plan on doing with it.

Awesome info. Except the umbrella one. I may consider it later on but I need something more mobile.

Dominantly said:
Pick up a SB-700.

The user interface is much better than anything cheaper, and it's perfect for what you plan on doing with it.

That is important to me as well.

Yeah the UI is WAY better than the SB-600, and offers pretty much the same features as the SB-900.
It also comes with some color filters and a diffuser, which the camera can detect and adjust for.

Most reactions

Back