Nikon FM, what a joy to shoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I just recently got my Nikon FM back from being basically refurbed, initially bought it for 30 USD, and spent 83 USD at a repair shop to replace all the seals, the mirror foam bumper and to clean the prism, I think I did pretty well. Shot it will my Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8 and Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-s, and it was a really nice shooter, it feels so well put together. Today I shot some Kodak Ektar 100, I'm looking forward to seeing how my shots came out.

After my first excursion with my camera, I find that I am definitely lacking enough wide angle. I'm thinking a Nikkor 24mm f2.8 will do well enough for my uses, I think the 105mm f2.5 is enough telephoto for me.

48366982_608906976231685_8942342899224281088_o.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the FM. The FM was my second favorite Nikon of the 1980s, and I shot mine quite a lot. It's a nice body, since it offers the flip up tab on the automatic indexing follower, which allows one to use pre-AI lenses in stopped-down metering mode. The FM is a great mechanical camera!

Look into the 35mm and / or 28mm E series lenses.

If you want really wide, check out the Tokina 17/3.5 SL. Can be had for a good price, and über-wide!

Great camera. You’d love a 24mm.

That's a nice looking Camera.like restoring old cars well worth it.

The FM is one of the greats.

I purchased my black FM in the late 70’s. I am still using it today.

I own both the FM2 and the FM2n, and Nikon hit it out of the park with the FM series. It has everything I need, and nothing I don't.

The only thing I've found over time, is that they almost seem too lightweight. I miss the heft of the F2, so I've added MD-12's to both of them. I like them with my 24mm f/2.8 AIs, and it's probably the widest for wide angle, before I start to get some distortion. I miss the 105mm f/2.5 AIs that I foolishly sold a couple of years back. I do have a 105mm f/4 Micro, that's an adequate, for now, substitute.

I like a 50mm f/1.8 or even a 50mm f/2 for a "walk around" lens.

Glad you found one!

4DD17374-51FA-4D22-A7C8-267C62151CEE.jpeg
I added the MD-12 to my FE & FE-2 bodies. Great additions. Perfect grip and counter-balance to my bigger, heavier glass. If you drop lithium batteries in MD-12, it keeps them MUCH lighter. The 105 f/2.5 is a must have lens.

6AD2F1B2-1A8C-4BEE-A520-528FFE317EDE.jpeg
50mm E glass.

$30?? Wow- nice get!

I own both the FM2 and the FM2n, and Nikon hit it out of the park with the FM series. It has everything I need, and nothing I don't.

The only thing I've found over time, is that they almost seem too lightweight. I miss the heft of the F2, so I've added MD-12's to both of them. I like them with my 24mm f/2.8 AIs, and it's probably the widest for wide angle, before I start to get some distortion. I miss the 105mm f/2.5 AIs that I foolishly sold a couple of years back. I do have a 105mm f/4 Micro, that's an adequate, for now, substitute.

I like a 50mm f/1.8 or even a 50mm f/2 for a "walk around" lens.

Glad you found one!

I'm loving the camera, it's fantastic. The 105mm f2.5 has been great so far, you should definitely get another.

View attachment 166944 I added the MD-12 to my FE & FE-2 bodies. Great additions. Perfect grip and counter-balance to my bigger, heavier glass. If you drop lithium batteries in MD-12, it keeps them MUCH lighter. The 105 f/2.5 is a must have lens.

I am definitely wanting to get the MD-12, they aren't too expensive either!

$30?? Wow- nice get!

Yeah, it was a good initial cost, ebay is normally 4-5 times the price and you don't know if you are getting a good camera. I spent an additional 83 dollars on seals, mirror bumper, and prism cleaning, and the repair is warrantied for 1 year. So 113 dollars for essentially a "mint" Nikon FM, I'm thrilled.

IMHO, forget the motor drive.
It adds weight and bulk, and it tends to make you to shoot bursts. Burst shooting is expensive when you are shooting film. Think $1+ a frame (film and processing).
If you shoot fast moving subjects, then the motor drive has value, otherwise it is just bulk.
Granted it is a nice toy.

FA2BE730-0274-4A8B-B1D4-1EC4C2421834.jpeg
IMHO, forget the motor drive.
It adds weight and bulk, and it tends to make you to shoot bursts. Burst shooting is expensive when you are shooting film. Think $1+ a frame (film and processing).
If you shoot fast moving subjects, then the motor drive has value, otherwise it is just bulk.
Granted it is a nice toy.

I never turn my MD-12 on. It’s just there for added grip, stability. And with lithium batteries, it adds very little weight.

Oops. Wrong camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back