Nikon FM2n

Let us not forget the fantastic F3.
The F3 is truly a legend, but it boasts an electronic shutter. 50 years from now, repaired mechanical FM2 cameras will still be in use. Most F3 cameras will have dead electronics, and will hence be paperweights, sadly.

The F3 is truly a legend, but it boasts an electronic shutter. 50 years from now, repaired mechanical FM2 cameras will still be in use. Most F3 cameras will have dead electronics, and will hence be paperweights, sadly.
Hmmm. One of my F3 bodies is 40+ and still running. The other "dead" ingredient worth considering is the steady passing of skilled repair techs. No matter whether mechanical or electronic if no one's around capable of fixing 'em, right?

Note 1/4000 shutter speed

Note 1/4000 shutter speed
Noted! SO very nice for allowing wide open shooting in bright light, where bokeh/subject separation is desired.

Noted! SO very nice for allowing wide open shooting in bright light, where bokeh/subject separation is desired.
Acutually, I screw on a 2 stop nd and shoot at 1.4.

My original black FM that I purchased in the late 70's, is still going strong.

My original black FM that I purchased in the late 70's, is still going strong.
I've had:
two Nikon F100 cameras brick.
one Nikon D2H camera brick.
one Nikon D40 with a dead shutter button.

None of these are repairable. It is the inevitable fate of all electronics. My mechanical cameras are all still going strong.

PS- while I praise the old mechanical beasts, I am definitely not anti-tech. I've got several marvelous mirrorless cameras, electronic based film cameras, and DSLR rigs that I dearly love.

Most reactions

Back