Nikon lens question

Spoogen_1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im sure my question can work for other brands too but im getting nikon so ill be specific.

2 months ill be getting a D60 Nikon. Im gunna be getting Nikkor lenses. I take pics normally of cars, scenery, and people. I wasnt sure between a zoom lens and a wide angle. Which lens do you guys think would be best for all these different types of shots? Im not a pro of anything so i cant afford 304 different lenses.

i am no expert by any means but the 50mm i find works well for people and cars

I find the 18-70 is a pretty decent, reasonably priced all rounder for what you say you'll be shooting, obviously there are better lens in the nikon range but price and quality wise I think you'll be happy with this. H

I wasnt sure between a zoom lens and a wide angle

Do you mean 'between a telephoto and a wide angle lens? A lens can be a 'wide angle zoom'...like the new Nikon 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 for example. It 'zooms' from 10 to 24mm.

If money is tight go for either of 35mm f1.8G, or 18-55mm AFS, or 18-70mm AFS. All will work very well as a first lens. Some might even suggest an 18-200 as a walk around lens. If you want a really good lens 17-55 f2.8 is an excellent mid zoom.

a prime is definitely the way to go, 50mm is probably your best bet

An excerpt from Thom Hogan's review of the D60.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Final Comments[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The D60 is a nice camera that will appeal to most entry level DSLR users. However, I'm going to suggest that there's another group who will like it more: FM2 afficionados. Am I crazy? No. With the right lenses, the D60 is the small, light digital FM that everyone wants, with one addition: a Katz Eye screen (you can use the focus confirmation indicator, but there's a bit of tolerance in it that a true FM user would want to get rid of). Because you can mount pretty much any Nikkor lens ever made on the D60 it makes for a nice manual focus camera. However, those lenses don't set exposure. No fear, I have the perfect lens kit for you:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Voigtländer 20mm f/3.5. Gives you the equivalent of 28mm in the old film days, and this manual focus lens will meter on the D60 due to the CPU chip Cosina adds to it.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX. Nikon has now introduced the perfect "normal" lens for this camera. No DOF scale, though, so you might want to consider the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 instead. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Voightlander 40mm f/2 or Voightlander 58mm f/1.8. Again, both manual focus lenses and chipped to support exposure. The latter is a good equivalent for the 85mm on film.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you need macro or more telephoto, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and the Voightlander 180mm f/4 could round out your kit.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's remarkable how small and convenient the combination is (D60, Katz Eye, 20mm, 30mm, 58mm). FM users will find it the equivalent to, say, carrying an FM2n, a 28mm, 50mm, and 85mm lens. All these lenses are optically quite good[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not in that league and want all automatic? Then I'd say the optimal D60 kit is this: D60, 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR, and the 35mm f/1.8G DX. Again, remarkably small and convenient, and all these lenses are also optically quite good. [/FONT]

Good luck.

Not for what you say you'll be shooting, but if you want an all rounder wide to tele then I'd also go with 18-200vr, it'll cover the lot. Oh, and before I get all the wanabee togs here slagging it off I've heard all the arguments, no its not a prime but not everyone has prime cash, its good enough and better than many. H

The 50mm prime will not autofocus on that camera, so be aware of that. There is a new version of the 35mm which will (the AF-S version), which would be a good option, and I think 35mm is more useful than 50mm on a crop sensor camera.

That said, I think for a first lens, a zoom will be much for fun for learning. The 18-55 kit lens is very cheap and quite good, and is a very useful range for what the OP said he will be shooting.

go with the 18-55 VR. you'll get much more use out of it than a prime. and you won't utilize the benefits of a prime anyway. if you get a 35 or 50 prime right off the bat, and it's your only lens you're going to be frustrated.

also, the 50mm does come in AF-S flavor in the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G. more expensive, but it will auto focus on the D60/40

Most reactions

Back