Nikon Lens

Tortilla

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I have another question for you folks.

As some of you may remember, I posted here not too long ago asking for advice on my first SLR camera. I have since been to numerous camera stores, talked to the staff and handled both Canon and Nikon SLRs. I have researched extensively and ultimately decided to go with the XTi. I still have yet to make the purchase, but the XTi felt right in my hands.

Just today my mother told me that she has an ancient Nikon SLR from the 80s (Nikon FG), and with this Nikon came a lens. I'm still not completely lens savvy, so I'm not exactly sure of the kind. It says Toshiba 52mm SL-1A. It also says Nikon Lens Series E 50mm 1:1.8. Is this a decent lens? My mum's trying to push Nikon on me now, I think she wants me to use this lens. I'm not so sure it's worth it.

It seems to be an older cheap MANUAL FOCUS lens. Good glass but not the best and it is MANUAL FOCUS. Probably not worth basing your system off of.

I purchased one of those earlier this year for about $30. If my understanding of series E is correct it was the series sold by Nikon using sub suppliers i.e. lenses produced by companies other than Nikon, but branded as Nikon. I only used mine for a few weeks before upgrading to the Nikkor 1:1.8 50mm AF D which I have been very happy with.

More on E-series lenses here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#e

I wouldn't base a system off of this either. I'd just stick with what you had planned on buying, and I think a new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 equivalent sells for like $70 new.

Yup, I'd have to agree with MAV on this. One normally bases lens choice off a body, not the other way around. Choose your body and purchase the the best glass you can with an eye on future bodies.

Bodies come and go, but lenses should be purchased with the train of thought being long term investments that last a long time.

The camera is good but the lens is not of the best quality. Both are manual focus.

You can use the lens on your new camera but would not make it your main lens. It's not worth much but is usable. It will only be able to manual focus and as well as setting the apature.

The FG is a good camera and the 50 series E was sharp but not the best build quality. (it will work on the D40 is you are basing on price range) I only mention this to say a common mount between film and digital is not a bad idea. And if you don't think you want to shoot film now, times change. There might be an artistic streak in you that wants to try film later. Nikon has been good to me for almost 4 decades, and they only get better. Just my .02 worth.

Most reactions

Back