AquaVelvet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aquavelvetgraphics.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi there

I'm rather confused after going to a store the other day to look for a lens. I'm going to buy the D80 end this year and I would like to have a couple of lenses to go with it.

at the moment I have a standard Kit 18-55 AF. Not bad to use for a standard lens. (edit to say I have a D40x now)

But I would love some more and I cant make up my mind what. I need a Macro for in the studio and outside and a wide view for landscapes. But then I saw all these cool need things!! hahahah

what is the best you can start with? (buying I mean?) what do you use as a Nikon user more and what did you buy afterwords just to have for occasions? What do you use more?

Can u notice I'm rather lost? ahahaha cant even ask a question well :chatty:

Last edited:
ok stage one - work out your budget ;)
stage two is to work out what you want the camera to do for you - what you want these lenses to let you do -- you have already mentioned landscapes and macro - but also studio as well.

Now as to a macro will this be for insects or just for studio stock work? If the former then you want to look to a macro prime lens and you want at least 100mm focal length - the longer the better since it affects your working distance. A longer focal length means more workind distance (distance from camera to subject) and thus less chance of spooking insects as you move in close.
If - however - you are just taking shots of stock photography and stactic objects then you are a little more free to go less than 100mm - I would avoid 50mm macros as these tend to be a little but more on the cheap side of quality of build. I don't know the nikon line well, but they do have a very good 105mm which as stabalization built in - no use for macro level work but it does help when using the lens for portrates and other uses. Sigma also make a very good line of macro lenses - 50, 70, 105, 150 and 180mm - all but the 180mm are handholdable for longer periods of time - the 180mm is a little heavy and better used on a tripod.

Landscaping if the D80 is a crop sensor then the sigma 10-20mm is a well used and very good landscape lens, well suited to the crop sensor camera.

Overread thank you :D

the budget uuuh well I dont want to think about it :lmao:. one lens a month hehehe

At the moment I'm in uni to become a photographer. So we need to do al sorts of work. What I do myself often is macro with people outside, insects and in the studio I use it for material.

I also need a decent studio lens....

Landscapes are not my forte I think, so there I really do not ahve a clue where to start what I want. I need to make good images for my last year but I dont want to get 20 lenses either. so kinda a outside all-round lens.

I just get lost with so much choice and keep up mixing the info on all of them. :grumpy:

well for studio and insect work a 105mm macro would be the best bet I think - long enough for insect work and yet not so long as to be out of question for portrates - there is a sigma and nikon version at 105mm I would - personally - go for the nikon since whilst the VR is not going to help you with insects (I belive it does not function at the macro settings - or it leads to no/detrimental gain) it will be a boon for the studio.
I will let others talk about studio work and specific lenses, since it is an area I am not into shooting much - though I would think many would advocate prime lenses for the studio - where you willl often have plenty of time to change lenses mid shoot.

i like my 60mm

I also like my 17-55

I would suggest you take a look at these lens, and the 105 to compare w/the 60. You gotta get prety far back with the 105 if you are shooting heads [people] whereas the 60 is still quite doable and an oh so sweet lens.

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AI-S is a favorite of mine. Not sure if it would fit the D80.

There are four types of photographers IMO, decide which one you are and it will dictate your purchases:

1) Those that want one lens that does everything. = Buy an 18-200mm VR

2) Those that have a bit of $$ and are sticklers for sharpness and quality and don't mind multiple lens. = Buy a mid-range f/2.8 zoom, like a sigma 18-50mm f/2.8, then add a telephoto, an ultra-wide, and macro later in whatever order is desired.

3) Those that have very little $$ but are still sticklers for sharpness quality = Buy a 50mm f1.8 and start saving for the rest of your lenses.

4) Those that want everything and have tons of $$, = buy everything you can get your hands on. ;)

Most photographers I know fall into category #2 and they typically end up with five lenses: a fast 50mm prime, a mid-range zoom, a long-range zoom, an ultrawide, and a macro lens. Most of those photographers also dream of a ultra-telephoto prime, but can't afford one. ;)

I found that the 28-70mm/f2.8 Nikon lens is really quite good. Obviously pricey, but a fabulous lens -- fast to focus and really great image.

My personally observation has been if you are not shotting in strong light, you really need the faster glass. It always surprises me as to how dark a room is.

I bought a D80 since I had some (quite cheap) lenses from my fathers F-501. However, as I noticed afterward, they were all quite long (shortest was 35mm X 1.5), so I got myself a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, and kept using it in combination with the older Nikon 70-210mm F4-5.6. Then I realized that I needed something for portraits, nudes and "semi-macro" work, so I got myself a Tokina 100mm F2.8 Macro.

I generally have an idea of what I'd need / like to have next:

- A few primes: 35mm F2 (possibly even shorter if available at large apertures), 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4
- 70-200mm F2.8

I basically wouldn't be buying lenses if I don't know what I want / need. I think it's better to think and look around a bit more, and once you have decided that you need a macro lens, you can ask people about which one is better etc (maker VS maker, 60mm VS 105mm etc).

Most reactions

Back