Nikon - Need low-noise at high ISO

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I currently have a Nikon D3100. It has been a good introduction to SLR for me, but I'm ready to move on.

I do a lot of shooting in low-light conditions, and I would like a camera that would allow me to shoot at a higher ISO without getting a lot of noise. At ISO 800, my camera is too noisy for me! Sure, I can clean most of it up in PS, but I lose the sharpness. :( I'm finding that I am using my flash more as a light source than as a fill, and I hate that look to my pictures!

So, does anyone have advice on a camera upgrade? I certainly appreciate any advice!!

Price ~ up to $3000. Though, of course, I'd like to spend less. :)

Thank you for your time!!
~Rebekah

I'd guess the D700 would be the one you're after.

The undisputed king of high iso right now is the nikon d3s. It's a fair deal better than the d700 I own, I wish I could afford one. If you can stretch your budget a bit, I've seen some well used ones for about $3500.

I suppose there will eventually be an even better one come along from someone and then these old war horses will become affordable.

Yep at $3000 would look at the D700 or as mentioned the D7000 with cash left over for some quality fast glass. And hope your aware when needing higher iso then nailing exposure is critical. As most that complain of noise is with underexposed images. And if can't achieve handheld available light. Then fast glass can help as does flash if you take the time to learn flash to balance and fill instead of just popup which is a last resort and not very satisfying then having a dedicated flash is also very helpful.

As any camera last 5 years can get pretty clean images at 800. Have gotten even clean at 1250 on an old D200 when many would not go above 400 or 800 as last resort. But again has to do with nailing exposure with help of good light,fast glass or flash.

You will feel strangely powerful when you don't need a tripod in conditions that was previously not possible with other cameras.

Since I got the D700, I had to "upgrade" my lens from MF to AF, because I now am able to take photos in dark settings, and with MF it's hard to get quick focus on things. The D700 does great job AF in low light conditions. It's been just awesome.

I got the camera in April and have already taken more than 10k shots with it.

To set your expectations: the d7000 will take shots at 2000iso with about the same noise as your d3100 at 800iso, the d700 will push this to 3200iso

I was reading Thom Hogan's site today, and according to him there is a Nikon announcement scheduled for Sep 21st, where they may announce the D3, D700 or D300 upgrade. Might be worth waiting a few days to see if an upgrade is announced... if so, you will have option between the new model (which will most likely be improved high ISO performance) and prices will drop on these older models.

My D700 is shocking good at High ISO's. Even at 6400 what little I saw was acceptable, and/or could easily be handled with a tweak from a noise reducatiion program.

To be honest, the D3100 isn't a bad camera when it comes to noise. Of course you can get a D7000, but that won't be much of an upgrade in terms of high ISO, it's not worth upgrading just because of the noise. To get a significant improvement you'd really have to get the D700, but to use it's full potential you'll probably have to also invest in glass. My advice would be to wait just a bit for the D300 replacement, it should be here soon.

I was reading Thom Hogan's site today, and according to him there is a Nikon announcement scheduled for Sep 21st, where they may announce the D3, D700 or D300 upgrade. Might be worth waiting a few days to see if an upgrade is announced... if so, you will have option between the new model (which will most likely be improved high ISO performance) and prices will drop on these older models.

let's hope
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back