Nikon Pentax or Canon?

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i thought that i was set on my first DSLR choice with the Nikon D90, however i've been reading some reviews about some other cameras...
One is the Pentax K20D and the other is the Canon EOS 40D.

The canon has less MP, but higher FPS at 6.5 as opposed to 4.5 on the Nikon(the numbers might be slightly off) and the Pentax has higher MP then both of the cameras but lower FPS
... anyways, i wanted to see what you guys have to say about this...
any feedback would be appreciated, even if its, "you stupid noob, get off our forums!" =p

thnx!!

The D-SLR that I ever shot was a Nicon D-60, I thought it was cool, that I did some reading and I ended up buying a Canon XSi and I like way more then the D-60, So I would vote for the Canon.

Well remember, MP really doesn't matter until you enlarge your photos, and since this is your first DSLR, I'm going to assume you don't do much printing. So with that in mind you'll want to look for the camera that has the features you want. Like the FPS, if you do sports photography then that could be important, but if you do landscape, it doesn't matter at all. Next you should consider the lenses that each camera has available for it. The lens is really what makes the image, not the MP of the camera. For example I had one of the first Canon P&S digital cameras, (before DSLR's I'm pretty sure) the largest CF card for it was 16mb and I believe the cameras MP was like 1.5. A number of its images were a lot better quality wise then a Kodak 5mp camera I had just 2 years ago.

So when chooseing the camera go for its feautures, lenses available, low light ability, or whatever you want in a camera. Personally I'd reccomend the 40D, but im a fan of Canon :mrgreen:

I say choose the brand which has the better lens line up for you. With that said, try looking at what these brands have in their arsenal of lenses. Shifting can be very costly.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

I just went through this whole "which camera do I buy" and if I were you, I'd listen to Unmaned pilot. It really comes down to features and what camera works best for your particular case.

What ended up making my decision was the picture quality in Automatic mode. I have small children, and keep the camera handy at all times. If they start doing something goofy, I just want to grab the camera and start clicking without worrying too much about settings.

I looked at Nikon, Canon, and Pentax and found the Nikon's "base" images to be the most pleasing to my eyes. So thats what I went with. My Canon P&S and all the Canon D-SLRs I looked at seemed to be a hair soft.

I found lens selection to be about the same, but then I don't do any real "unique" shooting either.

I'm not sure if posting links to other camera sites is allowed or not, but www.dcresource.com was, in my mind, the most useful site I came across. The test shots were of the same subject in the same type of conditions, so I was better able to compare quality. They also didn't appear to be as biased as some of the other sites.

Rod

Do you have a local camera store where you can go and try them out? If so, I would definitely suggest doing that. I wish I'd done that before purchasing. I prefer the feel, and pre-programmed modes, of the Nikon. I've heard several people say they are pretty similar feature wise so it is just a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
i would second the above post.

basically, i bet you can't tell which camera has taken the an image, however, they do feel different in hand .

with that said, the other recommendations all have value and are something to consider.

i am a nikon user (over 40 years) and since i am familar with that camera i find it easier to switch body types but when i handle a canon i feel like all thumbs ; which is only because i don't use one on a regular basis.

I have used canon, pentax and olympus equipment for some time.

Seriously, I really love pentax colour and contrast. The lens selection are very good with orientation to small compact sizes.

you can check out my lens gallery for pentax and canon equipment here

Home Page

The autofocus speed and accuracy is probably better with Canon 40D though.

Do you have a local camera store where you can go and try them out? If so, I would definitely suggest doing that...

+1

...with that said, the other recommendations all have value and are something to consider.

i am a nikon user (over 40 years) and since i am familar with that camera i find it easier to switch body types but when i handle a canon i feel like all thumbs ; which is only because i don't use one on a regular basis.

Same for me, Ive been using Canon for only a couple years but if I pick up a Nikon I'm totally lost. Its not because its worse but because its different.

I wish more people would just realize that, neither is better then the other, their just DIFFERENT! :p:mrgreen:

Good luck on the purchase! I'm interested to see what you go with.

The D-SLR that I ever shot was a Nicon D-60, I thought it was cool, that I did some reading and I ended up buying a Canon XSi and I like way more then the D-60, So I would vote for the Canon.
Very scientific. :lol:

All 3 camera makers make very good camera's. The trick is knowing which features each has that are most important to you.

Of the 3 cameras you mentioned the Nikon D90 has the far better RAW image quality and high ISO performance as tested by an independent lab, DXO Labs.

Last edited:
I'd sit down with a piece of paper, draw two lines to devide it into thirds. Write down the must have features of each camera. Then see which features seem to fit you best.

Most everyone who responds will have their favorites. What suits me best may not be best for you. Ive used Canons and Nikons with a few Leicas tossed in over the years and today have a Sony, Canon and Nikon. But find myself reaching for the Nikon D200 with a battery pack, most often. It fits my style and hands most comfortably and I know if I accidently bump it, it will just keep on working. Once I dropped it from abou 5 ft on concrete when someone bumped me. It was a bit scratched but no real damage. Any of the others would have been totalled.

Once I dropped it from abou 5 ft on concrete when someone bumped me. It was a bit scratched but no real damage. Any of the others would have been totalled.
What others would have been "totalled"?

Are you saying a D200 is more durable than say a Canon 40D?

ALL of those camera manufacturers makes a camera that can take wonderful hobbyist photographs, simple because they all make good lenses which really is the determining factor here. Anything else at this level of photographic interest is bull**** brand loyalty and "I need to justify my purchase so I'll pitch hard for MY camera company".

If you decide to go further with your camera interest, and get move away from simply using your camera to take "cool shots of things I see and my friends" - this is when you need to take a hard look at the versatility of each camera line.

D-90, you have a good upgrade path for a beginner, and 12 MP is plenty, it gives you high quality shots.

Once I dropped it from abou 5 ft on concrete when someone bumped me. Any of those others would have been totaled.
An anecdote referencing one instance is statistically insignificant and essentially worthless information.

Drop your D200 10 times and report back on how it faired. Then we'll have some real data we can use for comparing durability. :lmao:

I have dropped one of my D90's twice from 5 ft onto concrete with only cosmetic issues, so much for being totalled huh. I have another D90 at Nikon Service right now (unfortunately on a parts hold) that had a 500 mm lens ripped off the body by an errant soccer ball. Go figure. :grumpy:

Most reactions

Back