Nikon Question

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI every one

Im wondering if its Possible to show the Histogram BEFORE the photo is taken. I can always see it after I take the picture, but want it displayed before I take the photo.. like if i hold the shutter half down before the picture is taken for sure...

Thanks

Not on a D70.

The histogram is a result of the the camera analyzing the image. The camera doesn't 'have' the image until after you take the photo. When you are looking into the viewfinder, you are looking into a mirror and right out the lens...the camera actually isn't seeing anything (except for the purpose of Auto focus and metering). When you snap the photo, the mirror flips up and the shutter opens...that is when the camera finally sees the image and records it...then it can analyze it and show you the histogram.

Now, the newest DSLR cameras have the 'Live View' feature. I believe the Nikon D300 and D3 have live view. This means you can see the image on the LCD screen before you actually take the photo...and I think they allow for you to see the histogram before you snap the image. The Canon 40D also has this feature.

Of course, it doesn't take much effort to snap a shot, examine the histogram, adjust and shoot again.

Thanks.. Yup I heard about this with the newer camera for Nikon.. was hoping lol... Thanks again!

To tell you the truth, you shouldn't even be using the histogram on the D70. You should be paying attention to the highlight warning instead. The histogram on the D70 is the olde B&W, reading only the green channel, so you only get 50% of the tonal information, and 0% of the color information, so you don't know if you have tonal block or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back