Nikon Repair Advice

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First of all, Happy New Year to everyone.

Second, I've got a D7000 that has had heavy use. I'm getting ready to hand it down to my son (to replace the D70 hand-me-done he's using). I was thinking of sending it to Nikon Repair first. The specific issues that it has right now are that a number of the menu buttons stick when navigating (for instance, when adjusting WB or ISO). Additionally, you're unable to navigate back when viewing results.

It's nothing critical, it just adds extra steps to camera adjustments. But I wanted to get it resolved before handing the camera off to my son to keep and use.

I haven't sent anything to the Nikon Repair shop before. What have people's experience been using them? How long before they could turn things around?

Nikon had my D40 a while back because the SD card mechanism wouldn't eject the card. It was an out of warranty repair, so they charged a flat fee ($250, IIRC). They also installed the latest firmware and tweaked the AF circuitry. It took a couple of months, however spare parts were scarce at the time; this was right after the earthquake/tsunami.

I never dealt with Nikon directly - I took the camera to Penn (they were still around), and they sent it up to NYC.

Last edited:
My experience is that I sent my camera in for inspection and cleaning. It came back looking like new. I think they updated the firmware, check for proper operation, and I think the cost was reasonable. I'd send it in again depending on how much use it gets. I'm a casual user, so not a lot of use, so maybe every three or four years for me. A professional or ardent user might send it in once a year, just as the user's manual suggests.

Nikon USA Service has (or had) 4 billing levels A, B, C, D.
IIRC the C level is $250.

On a paid repair they will not only fix your sticky controls they will inspect the camera, clean the sensor, lube the camera, check the calibration of appropiate subsystems like the AF module, and the light metering sensor.
Those of us that were NPS members paid full price for repairs but our gear got repaired first and/or Nikon would provide loaner gear to use while they had ours.

For a Nikon D7000, an option is to send the camera to a Nikon Authorized repair shop instead of Nikon USA Service
It looks like Photo-Tech in NYC or Camera Service Company in Smyrna, GA are closest to you in VA.

Photo-Tech
360 West 36th Street
New York, NY 10018
Directions
Phone: 212-673-8400
Fax: 212-673-8451

Camera Service Company
4391 West Atlanta Rd SE
Smyrna, GA 30080-6511
Directions
Phone: 770-432-4257
Fax: 770-432-4258

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch folks--this has been most helpful. I appreciate the advice and the sharing of personal experiences with Nikon on this issue.

Give these guys a call... i've had them repair a few 'out of warranty' lenses and was extremely happy with the service.

Home - Authorized Photo Service

Most reactions

New Topics

Back