Nikon Ring Messed Up. Pic Included. Help

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4079211067_d672db5374_b.jpg

Look closley at the bottom right ring. That doesn't look right, what do you think?

I think that's why I might be having problems with this lens. Every time I seem to have a little bit of pressure on it, it seems to "stop" itself down to 2.8....an aperture that's not on this lens - the 18-135. Only goes down to 3.5. When it does this, the vibrations - if you will - feel different when it takes the picture and the images come out completely black.

Also, when I open up the ring manually with the rear cap off, the rings don't "line" up to for a circle. Well it's still octogonal in a way, but these two rings stick out more than the others. I haven't noticed anything in picture quality but wonder whats up?

Could this be the culprit?

~Michael~

Yes, at least in part. It's time to either send the lens to Nikon or me if you are just tired of the grief. :)

It still being under warranty would be the best option of course but a reputable tech should be able to handel it. Ask them first though before sending it in. (If you choose to go the non Nikon route)

Oh, and by the way, don't sweat it too much as things happen to lenses of all brands.

good luck

Are you referring to "rings" as the aperture blades inside the lens?

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. Oops

Yes, at least in part. It's time to either send the lens to Nikon or me if you are just tired of the grief. :)

It still being under warranty would be the best option of course but a reputable tech should be able to handel it. Ask them first though before sending it in. (If you choose to go the non Nikon route)

Oh, and by the way, don't sweat it too much as things happen to lenses of all brands.

good luck

They have a 5 year warranty, right? If that's the case, I might be able to bear sending it in unless it wouldn't cost much just to have someone else look at it. Like I said, it's not seeming to cause me any problems (knock on wood.......hard) but I don't like that it's there!

~Michael~

Don't know what city you are in, but some larger cities have a local camera repair service that is authorized for Nikon warranty service.

In metro Atlanta, the repair costs would probably be somewhere around $100.00, so go for warranty if your lens is under warranty, and if you can prove that it is.

Remember that Nikon only honors factory warranty to original retail buyer, and they usually require a receipt of purchase as proof.

Many people will sell Nikon gear used, with a blank warranty card for you to fill out. People will fall for that, but it means absolutely nothing to Nikon.

Sometimes a local shop in good standing with Nikon can get warranty coverage without proof based on mfg date of piece in question being within the factory warranty period.

Good luck!

Don't know what city you are in, but some larger cities have a local camera repair service that is authorized for Nikon warranty service.

In metro Atlanta, the repair costs would probably be somewhere around $100.00, so go for warranty if your lens is under warranty, and if you can prove that it is.

Remember that Nikon only honors factory warranty to original retail buyer, and they usually require a receipt of purchase as proof.

Many people will sell Nikon gear used, with a blank warranty card for you to fill out. People will fall for that, but it means absolutely nothing to Nikon.

Sometimes a local shop in good standing with Nikon can get warranty coverage without proof based on mfg date of piece in question being within the factory warranty period.

Good luck!

I'm close to Charlotte NC and there might be something closer but I'm not sure. I bought the camera when I worked at Wolf Camera and used their discount. No matter if I bought it with a discount or not, I still bought the lens and should still be covered under warranty. It's also registered, not that that would make any difference I don't think.

I will contact Nikon and see what they have to say. I bought the camera and lens August 16, 2007. We will see.

Thanks for the help

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back