What's new

Nikon : The Bastard Love Child of Sony?!?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
911
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon D7000 has a Sony sensor (confirmed) | Nikon Rumors

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, the Nikon D7000 (as well as many of the other non-pro line bodies Nikon offers) employs a sensor made by Sony. I'm sure this is along the same lines as TV companies all using LCD and Plasma panels made by the same company, but I found it to be interesting.

Don't get me wrong... I have a D7000 and love it. With the quality of images its capable of I don't care if the sensor was made by Fischer Price..... Just an interesting find that came as a bit of a surprise.

Discuss.
 
Last edited:
I heard this quite some time ago, Strad. I don't shoot Nikon either. Somehow I was aware that Sony made Nikons sensors. But Nikon makes the steppers that Sony uses, and designs the sensors. Sony just does manufacturing.
 
Where have you been Strad...it's WELL-known that Sony supplies sensors to both Nikon and Pentax! In fact, Sony makes the sensors on steppers manufactured by Nikon! The same sensel (the light-sensitive part of a sensor) is in the Sony A900 and A850 full-frame cameras, and the Nikon D3x. The only difference??? Nikon has vastly,vastly better read-out electronicsm and a better AA-filter array than Sony, so the Nikon D3x blows away the two Sony models in image quality. At today's current state of sensor-making and camera design, the camera companies (Nikon, Pentax) have great incentive to developing lower noise electronics, and better software for the image demosacing stage,and for the image processing of the data that the sensor captures. As I just wrote in another post about 5 mins ago, SONY's sensor use in its own Sony-branded d-slr's is dwarfed by what Nikon and Pentax buy from them and build into Nikon and Pentax cameras. And yes, right now, the sensor Sony has sold to Nikon and Pentax is the imager heart of two of the absolute best-performing 16.2 MP 1/5x cameras!!!
 
Where have you been Strad...it's WELL-known that Sony supplies sensors to both Nikon and Pentax!

Well, if anyone needs me, I will be off in the corner whimpering in self hate over once again, and in my seemingly oblivious fashion, stating the blatently obvious as news. :(


:lol:
 
Where have you been Strad...it's WELL-known that Sony supplies sensors to both Nikon and Pentax!

Well, if anyone needs me, I will be off in the corner whimpering in self hate over once again, and in my seemingly oblivious fashion, stating the blatently obvious as news. :(

Aww, Strad... It's okay! Everyone needs to be good at something! :hug:: :lmao:
 
Thanks for sharing.......
[video]http://youtu.be/-f_DPrSEOEo[/video]
 
Aww, Strad... It's okay! Everyone needs to be good at something! :hug:: :lmao:

Jeez. First you liken me to the "Tron Guy", then this? What..... Did I miss the memo regarding "Hurt Strad's feelings day"?

:er:

Besides. I'm good at plenty of things. Just ask my wife. :sexywink:

Thanks for sharing.......
[video]http://youtu.be/-f_DPrSEOEo[/video]

Et Tu, SpeedTrap?

Looks like I'm going to save a bundle in postage on Christmas Cards this year. :lol:
 
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I never said you reminded me of Tron Guy! :lmao: I'll clear this up via PM.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom