What's new

Nikon upgrade?

SouthLand

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all -

I usually just read posts and get the information I need. I recently registered and now I find myself here an awful lot. :)

I moved up from the D40 to the D60 over the summer after not doing much research. Now I know a little more about the Nikon lines, I am considering another upgrade.

A local camera store has a used D80 body for $450. It looks like a good deal, but my question is.... Should I wait until I find a deal on a D90 instead? After buying the D60 not being fully knowledgeable I feel like I shouldn't rush into another body purchase. The only real noticeable difference I can see is the video function. Is that it?

I shoot a lot of live action sports and use a Tamron 70-200 F2.

I shoot nature with a 50-200VR and a Sigma 50-500.

Any body have any suggestions or opinions? I'd love to hear!

Thanks!
 
High ISO performance on the D90 is MUCH better than the D80, keep what you have until you can get the D90 in my opinion. I've had a D40, D60, D80, D200 and D90 - D90 is by far my favorite.
 
The D90 has the same CMOS image sensor, and high ISO capability, the D300 has. The D300, new costs about $800 more than a D90, new.

The higher ISO capabilty will be beneficial for your sports shooting.
 
I'm with the others. I'd suggest waiting and getting the D90 unless you only shoot daytime sports and never plan to shoot when the sun starts to go down. D60 > D80 would still be a nice upgrade though.

What features of the D80 and D90 are making you want to upgrade?....or are you just wanting to upgrade because you heard they're better? Make a list of what features that are truly important to you that the D90 has over your D60. Then take that list and compare it to what features the D80 has. You might find that the features that interest you most are available in the D80 as well as D90 and that might answer your question....you might also find out that something in the D90 is crucial to you.
 
I have a D80 and I've been looking to add a D90. I've been checking B&H pricing almost every day and it seems that there's been a $10 price drop every week for the past three months. I figure on waiting until the price appears to have stabilized.
 
Wait till you get a good price on D90 and enjoy it.
 
Thanks everyone! I'm glad I asked. I am now on the hunt for a D90. ;)
 
The D80 is an old old model. Your D60 is probably better than the D80. It is not like the higher the number the better the camera. I would not buy a D80. The D90 is much better and much newer. In the digital camera world, 2 years means a generation newer.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom