Nikon User ... which lens do you recommend next?

A&A_Lane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right now, I'm shooting with a Nikon d80. I own 2 lenses...18-200mm VR and 50mm f/1.8 prime. I also have a sb-600 flash & a lightsphere that I can use on the flash. I don't really use the flash much though...I prefer to shoot with all natural lighting/no flash if at all possible. My usual subjects are my kiddos but I really like the lens to be all purpose & excellent for lowlight and movement & able to have super clear/sharp images.

Any ideas on what lens I should go for next?

Sample photos with the lens you recommend would be even better!:D

The 18-200 is an excellent all-around lens, with the exception of low-light, but you have the 50mm f/1.8 for that. Where are you finding that you are limited in what you're trying shoot?

nikor 24-70 2.8 if you want zoom speed

nikor 85mm 1.4 if you want to build up your super creamy bokeh prime collection

nikor 105mm 2.8vr if you want to start getting into macros

tokina 11-16 2.8 if you want to start introducing some funky perspective portraitures / plus funky perspective landscape

IMO, you already have the one of best "all purpose" lenses.. the 18-200 VR.

If you're unhappy with the speed/performance of that lens, then you might want to consider selling it and replacing it with two 2.8 lenses to cover the same focal range.

If you're going to keep the 18-200mm VR; a 105mm f2.8 lens would be a nice addition good for portraits and macros.

If you're going to keep the 18-200mm VR; a 105mm f2.8 lens would be a nice addition good for portraits and macros.

IMO 105mm is a little long on a crop sensor for portraiture.... I'd rather take the extra aperture with 85mm 1.4

105MM is actually pretty nice for portrait work; you obviously aren't going to be as close with a 50MM, but it kills two birds with one stone. Plus it does allow for some more intimate close up shots.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!:D

Ya'll are right that the 18-200 is already the best 'all-purpose' lens. I do love it! I just get in the mood to try something different I guess. The next lens I get, I know I want another wide angle if possible. And, a little bit of zoom. Doesn't have to be as much as my 200 though. I think I'd like a lighter lens if possible...the 18-200 can start to feel a tad heavy if I'm using it for more than a couple hours.

Btw, I'd love to see some sample photos of the lens you suggest if you own the lens or have in the past!:D In the meantime, I've been going through the list ya'll have given me and researching them.

Part of me would like to play around with a fisheye one...undecided though.

Anyways, keep it coming!

i got myself a fisheye a couple of months back, it's fun to play with (especially in cities!) but it's a lot of money (500-600 dollars) for just one effect. that having said, i still don't regret my purchase.

as for the macros/portraits, you might wanna check out the sigma 105mm macro lens. it's a few hundred cheaper than the nikkor one and gives great results according to the people on this forum.

maybe new suggestions for all-round lens that's wide angle and has a bit of zoom: the nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8. great lens but it doesn't come cheap (approx. 1200 dollars).

Buy something new. Expand your potential (and your collection)

maybe something like the 12-24 would be fun. costs a lot but there are people who use it as a walk-around and it would give you wide-angle that the 18-200 doesn't cover.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back