Nikon Users: What Macro Lens do you use?

Derrel, yeah I was reading that as you were posting! It looks like it does work on both FF and Crop sensors. I think this may where I go. I wanted one with IF, but I guess at the effective 150mm focal length the barrel extension shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I thought the Tokina AT-X 100mm f2.8 Macro was designed for crop sensors? May have confused myself. Will that lens work on a full-frame body as well without cropping/vignetting?

Full frame.... 100%

My research has led me to this option as well: Tamron 180mm f/3.5, $630.

I thought I had my mind made up on the Tokina 100mm, but this Tamron has gotten pretty good reviews as well. More expensive, but the additional focal length seems advantageous for macro work without disturbing your subject (or getting macro shots of hard to reach subjects).

Don't forget about Sigma - they've a 150mm and 180mm macro lenses on the market; though you might have trouble getting a new 180mm, the 150mm might still have some stock left over. If neither are on the new market there is always the second hand. They are both top of the range options, and the sigma 180mm was always the more popular choice over the Tamron (I forget why but there is something about the Tamron that lacks which makes it less popular as a choice, even though its optics are, like all macro lenses, very good).

Both of the sigma options have been replaced with, more expensive OS versions (hence why stocks are low in the new market) although optics haven't changed all that much (like many macro lenses there just isn't all that much that can be improved upon - though of course there is a gain its not generally that large).

Most reactions

Back