Nikon vs Canon

Actually, you are both wrong. The best lenses were and are always produced by German companies as every serious photographer knows. :lmao:

*thread locked*

That means we should all have Leicas or the Sony Alpha with the Zeiss lenses, eh?

skieur

*fermé à clef*

That means we should all have Leicas or the Sony Alpha with the Zeiss lenses, eh?

skieur

*fermé à clef*

not necessarily those cameras, but those lenses, wich work nicely on nikon and canon ;)

of course i am just being patriotic here ;)

Well, I've seen alot of people say "Canon" here, but the only thing that is really important is how it feels. Even if you get a top-of-the-range Canon model, with the best lens in the world, if it doesn't feel right in your hands, it would end up as a waste of money. I have always been a Nikon kid (although I've never tried a Canon), but I have every respect for Canon, even though I prefer Nikon.

It's all down to you now. o_o

a sticky should be made on this forum with the pros/cons of each major brand, not only canon and nikon, and tips on how to choose a good camera, what each system provides and doesn't, compiled by different members. than we can avoid silly brand wars (fortunately this thread isn't one of them....yet)

i tried to make it a brand war, but i even failed in that respect.

but a canon vs nikon vs pentax vs samsung vs olympus vs alpha thread
would be great .. with a conclusion which is totally unconclusive.

and then, to resolve this issue, we tell people they should stop all this and photograph with Leica rangefinders or Miyama or Hasselblad medium format cameras ;)

Whenever I like something I usually dislike the rival..

for example:

I root for the vikings so I hate the packers
I own an XBOX 360 so I hate sony
I ride a two-stroke dirtbike so I hate four-strokes

And right now I'm gradually disliking canon.. (here it goes again)

I generally see more canon shooters around campus as well. seemed as if the entire photography class had canon and on the camera recommendation for the class it had the Canon K2.

I think it varies myself. I have seen alot of Nikon and, Canon bodies in the media. It seems it depends on who you work for or, if you already have someones equipment when you start. God I remember the old days of film seeing everyone using whatever they liked most. I used Pentax myself and, still have my last film body which is an MX. I think it depends on what is more popular in your area. And it will be one of the big two.

The professionals up here in Maine use mainly Nikon, even the local photo store stocks 75% Nikon stuff. Yet, for sports like, in Boston, Canon is pretty popular. Is Canon more popular for sports because the bodies are faster? Or were before the D3? I mean, I'm not sure Canon's lenses are better. I'd say the two companies are very even on all fronts.

Early in the Vietnam war the N.Y. wire services and print media favored B&W shot with Leica's. A couple war PJ's were in Tokyo on R&R and picked up a couple Nikon "F" models with 50mm lenses. These guys started to shoot in Vietnam with there new SLR's instead of the Leica's. The resulting images were comparable to the film shot in the Leicas. Nikon became the favored system during the war. Second trivia lesson for the day.

Every time you see a major sporting event in america, probably 80% of the togs are using Canon. This is not to say it's better...but I would tend to agree that the lenses required in the range useful for sports...are better in Canon's lineup.

I like both Nikon and Canon...and if I was rich I'd shoot both...

Thanks Guys for the responses. The reason for my question was bit beyond 'event photography' (marriage, birthdays etc). Mainly photo journalism. If you see references in the books from Bryan Peterson he only uses Nikon, or for that matter many other respected authors, you see a National Geographic photographer in news, senior newspaper photographers at some major political event etc you find largely Nikon. Well, I do not attend such events but that is what I see in the news papers or on TV.
That is why I was curious that is Canon poor man’s Nikon!

A lot of sport shooters and there agencies are sponsored by Canon. It's a genius marketing move by Canon. Those white lenses really make a statement on the football field. A lot of wildlife shooters have Nikon as a sponsor. From a marketing standpoint, Canon was smarter. That, and Nikon only does optics, cameras, binoculars, spotting scopes, rifle scopes, and microscopes. Canon also makes printers, copiers, calculators, faxes, and a bunch of other electronics. They each have a niche market.

Whenever I like something I usually dislike the rival..

for example:

I root for the vikings so I hate the packers
I own an XBOX 360 so I hate sony
I ride a two-stroke dirtbike so I hate four-strokes

And right now I'm gradually disliking canon.. (here it goes again)

Well four strokes hate you.
And so does Canon..
AND SONY.

BTW, Canon is wayyy more awesome than Nikon will ever be! NIKONS SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

:p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back