Nikon vs Canon

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So for my first camera i decided to go with the Nikon D90. Its the small features that nikon provides that caught my attention, esp the ability to shoot HD videos.
However, after all my research i have yet to find MAJOR differences between Nikon and Canon. There are those who are loyal to Nikon, and those to Canon...but is there something that each specialize in? Does one provide something the other doesnt when comparing the same class camera?

pros and cons to each one?

(dont flame me, im just a noob!)
-David

Last edited:
However, after all my research i have yet to find MAJOR differences between Nikon and Canon.
-David

That's because there isn't any. It is that easy!! If you use the search function of this very forum by typing something like "Canon vs Nikon" you will find many threads very similar to yours, which usually end in silly debates because people tend to favor the brand they own and fail to realise that the competitor brand is just as good.

Now, be prepared to be flamed.;)

From a purely image quality standpoint, reviewers generally tend to favor Nikon bodies - however thats like someone saying they like the British Office over the American Office - they are both multi-award winning programs.

Having said that, its not in the image quality that you will find much of a difference - its in the "support" system: lenses, off camera flash, etc. That's where you will start to see the camera lines differentiate themselves.

From a purely image quality standpoint, reviewers generally tend to favor Nikon bodies - however thats like someone saying they like the British Office over the American Office - they are both multi-award winning programs.

No MAJOR difference here between Nikon and Canon (as you said yourself).

Having said that, its not in the image quality that you will find much of a difference - its in the "support" system: lenses, off camera flash, etc. That's where you will start to see the camera lines differentiate themselves.

No MAJOR difference here between Nikon and Canon either.

Both are about the same, but once you get tied into a lens system it usually costs too much for most to switch brands.

what kind of differences in the 'support system'?
more specifically, lenses?

and thnx ANDS!, you always give helpful answers, i was hoping you would reply to this =] :mrgreen:

No no no, guys, obviously Nikon is better...

Wait, I mean Canon. >.>

Canon has a nice line of lenses, and some of that L glass is pretty fantastic. Nikons tend to have less noise in low-light though, or so a little bird told me. (Very minor, slight differences.)

Oh, and Nikon's have matrix metering. Not that that should make a huge difference if you just remember to expose properly based on what the light meter tells you, or bias correctly. o_O

No MAJOR difference here between Nikon and Canon either.

Not true. Canon has a bit more robust lens lineup. They aren't all winners, but at least Canon has options in various focal length ranges than Nikon does (my mind immediately jumps to the 70-200 F/4 that sells for about 500 bucks or so from Canon). Nevermind that the majority of used equipment out there is from Canon. This does not speak to the lack of quality of a Canon lens, but its ubiquity.

Then there is the flash system, with Nikon taking the lead here. CLS just works and removes much of the guesswork out of setting up a multiple flash system. Canon can of course do this, however I am unaware of any Canon body that can actually function as a commander unit, whereas the majority of Nikons dSLR cameras can. This removes the need for transmitters and receivers and various other nonsense, as well as sacrificing one flash unit on camera body to operate as a commander.

There are other subtle differences between the two camera lines that present themselves in use and will have someone going "Oh. . .well hell I like having that on this camera and don't know that I could live without it". It is in this way that the two systems separate from each other.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back