Nikon... Whats the difference?!?

ImageArray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
imagearray.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my huband totally blurbed that he is buying me my first DSLR (so much for the surprise!). Now I was checking up on the specs because of my budget constraints I want either the Nikon D3000, the Nikon D3100 or the Nikon D5000 and I have a question. From what I can see... aside from the price tag and size in megapixels, the only other differences I can see is the differences in minimum and maximum apertures between the 3 cameras and also that the D5000 does not do RAW+JPEG. So my question is... for a noob, which is the better camera? Which one would you guys recommend? And what are the other differnces (if there are any that I am not seeing) that would make one more superior than the others? I really need some help in narrowing it down. I was really turned off with the fact that the D5000 doesnt do RAW+JPEG... so that one might be off my list. Opinions please?

Of the 3 listed, go for the D3100. The specs out strip the other 2 at this time.
Not sure about the raw + jpg limitation. I was not aware of it.

The D5000 does do RAW+JPEG. If I was buying now, I'd get the 3100 personally. It depends on how much you want to spend.

If you can swing it, look at the new D7000. It's shipping in mid-October, and is one sexy camera for the price.

The D5000 does do RAW+JPEG.

Hmmm I've checked several websites and they say the D5000 only does RAW or JPEG .... errors on their part maybe?

So the D3100 you say?? I'm going to go into town this weekend and take a look at them, see which one feels best, and keeping in mind what you guys said... if it feels right then the D3100 it will be.

Hmmm I've checked several websites and they say the D5000 only does RAW or JPEG .... errors on their part maybe?

Yeah... they are mistaken. I use a D5000 and can tell you first-hand that it will record RAW + JPEG.

Here are your shooting options:

JPEG Basic, JPEG Norm, JPEG Fine, RAW, RAW + JPEG Basic, RAW + JPEG Norm, RAW + JPEG Fine

So, you've got all the combinations you could need in the D5000. I've only read here or there about the new Nikon offerings, so can't really comment in that area. Suffice to say, the D5000 is still a great camera for the money.

D3100 no debate., or a refurb D90 from Nikon for $720 body only.

The authoritative source for the answer to the question of what quality options the camera gives is the user manual. According to page 63 the D5000 manual, it does support RAW+Jpeg.

I own a D90 and love it. if I decided to get my daughters a present it would be a D3100. They would be classed as new SLR photographers but plenty experienced with point and shoots. However if the right steal price appeared for a D5000 it would be get grabbed over the D3100

I can only speak for the D5000 as it is what I have and I am 100% happy with it :)

They all do RAW+JPEG. I have the D3000 and it does also. I'd go with the 3100.

So my huband totally blurbed that he is buying me my first DSLR (so much for the surprise!). Now I was checking up on the specs because of my budget constraints I want either the Nikon D3000, the Nikon D3100 or the Nikon D5000 and I have a question. From what I can see... aside from the price tag and size in megapixels, the only other differences I can see is the differences in minimum and maximum apertures between the 3 cameras and also that the D5000 does not do RAW+JPEG. So my question is... for a noob, which is the better camera? Which one would you guys recommend? And what are the other differnces (if there are any that I am not seeing) that would make one more superior than the others? I really need some help in narrowing it down. I was really turned off with the fact that the D5000 doesnt do RAW+JPEG... so that one might be off my list. Opinions please?

The aperture is determined by the lens, not the camera body.

Anyway, one of the downsides of the three cameras you posted is that AF Nikkor lenses won't autofocus on them. You would need to buy AF-S lenses. The d90 will work with any nikon lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back