Nikon Z6 & Z7 fails

waday said:
...well, sure. It's just that it's been a couple of months of this patter. I'm going in on the Z6, so the Z7 doesn't completely apply, but I want hands-on opinions, not a bunch of regurgitated "...only one card slot" kinda stuff. I just found this site and it seems really good, maybe I should just avoid what I know to be useless... ;0) I've a nice set of DSLR's (D5,800,500 and a couple of IR bodies) and am anxious to get my mitts on a Z6...so I'll look through this site more carefully.

OKAY>>>SOMETHING ACTUALLY USEFUL: Ming Thein's review of the Nikon Z7 and the NEW 24-70mm lens. Full review: The 2018 Nikon Z7 and Z 24-70/4

A few excerpts of very positive things from Ming's review:

"23/10/18 update: After a few cycles on the batteries, it seems that I’m now seeing more like 1200-1400 shots per charge. By comparison, shooting the same way with my D850 yields about 2000, a PEN-F about 600-700, and the A7RII about 150. SNIP In short: whatever Nikon have done to optimise battery life on the Z7, it’s phenomenal."

"I have the Z 24-70/4>>SNIP>here are two remarkable things about this lens: firstly, the collapsed size is tiny: it’s the same size as the primes, or say an 85/1.8. The second thing is it’s neutrality: it isn’t crazy sharp like an Otus, but it isn’t soft, either; microcontrast is middling; macrocontrast is middle to high, and it’s slightly better stopped down (peaking somewhere between f5.6 and f8). It definitely matches the resolution of the sensor. But what’s amazing is its consistency across the focal range, focal distance and across the frame, even into the extreme corners. Remember: this isn’t a prime; it’s a collapsing compact wide-to-portrait zoom, with very short back flange distance.

This is the first time I’ve seen this kind of behaviour in a zoom: normally there’s an obvious resolution peak in the middle, with the edges only catching up a couple of stops down. Furthermore, chromatic aberration (both longitudinal and lateral) and flare are almost zero. You really have to get something very bright in the frame at wide to see even slight ghosts. This is solid evidence of the performance improvements that come from a larger mount, larger exit pupil (32mm!) and higher telecentricity. On top of that, focus is completely silent and nearly instant, and you have the benefit of a very short 30cm minimum distance from the focal plane at all focal lengths."

And:

"And as the D3, this represents a massive quantum leap of innovation for conservative Nikon; though the Z7 isn’t the second coming of sliced Jesus there are enough solid improvements over the D850, and not too many compromises (some of which are firmware-fixable). For a first try, it’s remarkable effort. Put another way: I don’t care what the fanboys say, but we’re now on the third generation of Sony A7 (fourth, if you count the A9) and they still don’t operate as smoothly."

Most reactions

Back