mjcmt

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but I'm interested in reading reviews of this crop sensor retro style camera.
I think it would be a very nice compact carry around camera w/ a small prime or 16-50DX lens for street and vacations, and a direct competition to Fuji offerings.
I kind of like this as a nice looking alternative to the Z50. Wondering if Nikon is releasing this because the Z50 isn't selling well or to take some of Fuji's market share away. It's cool to me as a compact alternative to my Nikon DSLR and to get back into mirrorless after having a Fuji x100T I had for 4.5 yrs and sold 3/4 yr ago when I went back into Nikon. I found the Fuji was slow to operate and dig thru menus.

Nikon Zfc retro-styled APS-C mirrorless Z-mount camera rumored to be announced on June 28 + new details - Nikon Rumors

Nikon Zfc Coming on June 28, Shipping Starts from July 31, 2021 « NEW CAMERA

Last edited:
Nikon. Leading from behind? The Fuji X-T1 dropped in 2014.

An atrophied/lipo-suctioned Df, perhaps?

Last edited:
Nikon. Leading from behind? The Fuji X-T1 dropped in 2014.
And it was/is a mess. I owned one and sold it about a 18 months later.

Button layout, recessed buttons, loose rotating switches, D-Pad buttons, stupid Q Button layout and functionality, light leak through the port access door, poor battery endurance . . . . . Yeah they got it right, LOL.

And it was/is a mess. I owned one and sold it about a 18 months later.

Button layout, recessed buttons, loose rotating switches, D-Pad buttons, stupid Q Button layout and functionality, light leak through the port access door, poor battery endurance . . . . . Yeah they got it right, LOL.
Exceptions prove the rule? Hardly. Don't get me started on Nikon botches and their belated, indifferent remedies.

Like you bought an X-T1 sight unseen? Have never had CRM as good as Fujifilm.ca delivers, so I'm wondering if you made any effort to get yours looked at. The scattered early run light leak issue was an easy fix.

Own two X-T1s and love 'em.

Last edited:
Exceptions prove the rule? Hardly. Don't get me started on Nikon botches and their belated, indifferent remedies.

Like you bought an X-T1 sight unseen? Have never had CRM as good as Fujifilm.ca delivers, so I'm wondering if you made any effort to get yours looked at. The scattered early run light leak issue was an easy fix.

Own two X-T1s and love 'em.
I bought the first run of X-T1's and yes, not sight unseen but in my hand unseen.

My X-T1 went back to Fujifim Canada for the repair, I don't sight them at fault, the camera shouldn't have left the design table with that issue and with shipping back and forth and the repair it was out of my hands for nearly 3 weeks.

The bigger issues are with the layout of the camera buttons and their ridiculous Q Button functionality, it's just not pro level.

and a direct competition to Fuji offerings.
I was thinking the same. It looks like fun. If it is priced right it might appeal to a younger crowd that likes retro. Just a few days ago a couple on the National Mall asked me to take a shot of them....with a Polaroid camera. Hey, isn't vinyl making a comeback? My wife saw them and said,"oooo, I really like the mint green."

Ironically, it will probably be a really good shooter with excellent ergonomics.

Here 'tis:

I just don't get this camera. For starters, it's cut closer to the retro FM/FE than the monstrous Df--but DX? Unsure what Nikon has in store for DX lenses in the new mount? Not much it seems. No sexy fast primes, just zooms. It's pitched to an amorphous(invented?) market segment that regards cameras as a lifestyle prop--hence the body color choices some are showing? I guess it's cheap-ish but I can't see its placement as a mid-market item.

The design is way late to the party relative to Fuji who rolled out the X-T1 7 years ago. But its 2021 and Nikon just can't catch-up with this tardy effort. Hope it sells but suspect it will settle in as a discounted kit package.

Last edited:
I like the styling of it, and paired with the compact 16-50 kit lens or one of the wider pancake lenses they bundle with it, might be a great option for carrying around when you don't want to bring a bigger rig. The only drawback is that full frame Nikon Z bodies have gotten a lot more affordable. A Z6II might be $2k, but a refurbished first gen Z6 sells for $1100, only about $150 more than this crop sensor body. Still, having something barely bigger than a point and shoot that offers the benefits of newer Nikon Z functionality sounds tempting.

If you want a "serious" camera, then the Z5 does not cost much more. Products like these (and the Fuji X-T series and the Olympus OM-D series) are more for old people like me, or Japanese or German photography techy hobbyists who actually saw, and maybe even handled the original cameras. I have used an original Pentax Spotmatic, Olympus OM-1 and Fuji's earliest SLRs (ST701 and ST801). I never really used a Nikon FM or FE. Back then I did try the Canon FTb and AE-1. The AE-1 was the real revolution of that bunch.

If you want a "serious" camera, then the Z5 does not cost much more. Products like these (and the Fuji X-T series and the Olympus OM-D series) are more for old people like me, or Japanese or German photography techy hobbyists who actually saw, and maybe even handled the original cameras. I have used an original Pentax Spotmatic, Olympus OM-1 and Fuji's earliest SLRs (ST701 and ST801). I never really used a Nikon FM or FE. Back then I did try the Canon FTb and AE-1. The AE-1 was the real revolution of that bunch.
I learned in the 70s on my Dad's Spotmatic. I know to be true to the retro styling they need to forego the grip but that is important to me as a way to avoid damaging the camera.

Interesting video of Z-fc hands on from DP Review.

I bought the first run of X-T1's and yes, not sight unseen but in my hand unseen.

My X-T1 went back to Fujifim Canada for the repair, I don't sight them at fault, the camera shouldn't have left the design table with that issue and with shipping back and forth and the repair it was out of my hands for nearly 3 weeks.

The bigger issues are with the layout of the camera buttons and their ridiculous Q Button functionality, it's just not pro level.
Three weeks, wow! Send a Leica back to the factory for anything and you can expect to grow a
Santa Claus beard before it returns!!

Nikon can't afford novelty/niche products, especially something as offbeat as an APS-C MILC FE/FM in 2021. Its only chance would have been a commitment to a brace of affordable primes like the "Fujicron" f2 lenses. Little/no chance of that! Troubling.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back