Nikon Zf-c retro style camera shipping in July

If you look at NikonUSA's web page for this camera, I think the intended market is pretty clear. It seems to me that they are aiming it mostly at younger women. It's actually an encouraging sign to me that folks on photography forums aren't attracted to it...Nikon is looking for a whole new market. Interesting a whole new group of folks in buying their products is exactly what they (and all the other camera manufacturers) need to reenergize their businesses.

I don't get it. Nice design styling but way late. Wheres the MF/AF switch? What about DX lenses? Weird marketing decision. Isn't this a Z50 crammed in a FE style body. I don't think the Z50 is flying off the shelves. Nikon is doomed.

I don't get it. Nice design styling but way late. Wheres the MF/AF switch? What about DX lenses? Weird marketing decision. Isn't this a Z50 crammed in a FE style body. I don't think the Z50 is flying off the shelves. Nikon is doomed.

When's the last time Nikon made a good decision? honestly.

I'm a LONG time Nikon user (since ~1998) but they are not innovators -- they cling to legacy and rest on laurels.

The failed Df should have taught them a lesson, but instead of learning they'd rather dump money into an inferior camera with horrible ergonomics because it looks like a camera that used to actually sell well 50 years ago.

I'm currently deciding the next step to my photography equipment and I was considering the Z50, but in traditional Nikon fashion, they take a decent camera label it as "entry-level" and then dummy down the controls/features/specs. The 4.5FPS spec is just insulting. It has the same processor and sensor as the Z6, so the only conclusion is they NERFED the Z50 so the Z6 had "better" specs. Meanwhile, the Sony 7C can do 10fps with af/ae tracking. Z6 can do 12fps. S5 7fps. Hell, the 42MP A7RII can do 5fps. My D800 can do 4fps. A 36MP sensor, on EXCEED 3, designed TEN YEARS AGO.

It's just really hard to be brand loyal to Nikon anymore. Where's the advantage other than your old lenses designed for a completely different mount?

I just don't know why anyone shopping for a FF mirrorless camera would chose a Z5 over a Z6 just to save ~$300. Oh but in Nikon fashion, the better Z6 comes loaded with a single memory card slot!

Like come the f on, Nikon.

Last edited:
lol.

1625580208015.png

cgw, my FM is loaded with t max 3200 and my FE with portra 400. They are only 40 years retro, the real deal, not some fake. What was that line from the movie Kodachrome? "You ever hold a pair of fake breasts in your hands? No matter how good something looks, you can't beat the real thing. People are taking more pictures now than ever before, billions of them. But there's no slides, no prints. They are just data, electronic dust." Slap on a couple of zeiss lenses, happiness. I don't need no stinkin lcd. I know what my image will look like after metering. What will that z camera be in 14 years much less 40, a paper weight. Mine cost less than $200 each. And you want retro, My mamiya rb67 requires you cock the huge mirror, advance the film, pull the dark slide, meter and set shutter and aperture rings, manually focus, then clunk. That's retro. The images are sweet on the huge negative using 5 element lenses. But, then, my first camera was a 620 film camera and I was in the dark room in 1960. I guess I am retro too.

cgw, my FM is loaded with t max 3200 and my FE with portra 400. They are only 40 years retro, the real deal, not some fake. What was that line from the movie Kodachrome? "You ever hold a pair of fake breasts in your hands? No matter how good something looks, you can't beat the real thing. People are taking more pictures now than ever before, billions of them. But there's no slides, no prints. They are just data, electronic dust." Slap on a couple of zeiss lenses, happiness. I don't need no stinkin lcd. I know what my image will look like after metering. What will that z camera be in 14 years much less 40, a paper weight. Mine cost less than $200 each. And you want retro, My mamiya rb67 requires you cock the huge mirror, advance the film, pull the dark slide, meter and set shutter and aperture rings, manually focus, then clunk. That's retro. The images are sweet on the huge negative using 5 element lenses. But, then, my first camera was a 620 film camera and I was in the dark room in 1960. I guess I am retro too.
To each his own. I think the Zfc is a nice camera.

What about DX lenses? Weird marketing decision.
All Z lenses can be used. Also the first manufacturing run of the Zfc is sold out w/ pre-orders. Good marketing decision and better than Nikon expected.

Last edited:
keyword: styling

Notice the difference?

View attachment 246373
source: The Nikon FM2 - Nikon's Mechanical SLR Camera Masterpiece | Outside The Shot

Everything about this camera screams "I don't understand the market whatsoever, and I don't care".

It makes me cringe almost as much as when I see a rotary knob gear-selector in a modern car. The absolute dumbest trend in UI that could ever exist, ever.
Lighten up, it's not an exact copy but a modern take with retro styling. (It doesn't have a film advance lever either.) I also like tactile controls, even in an automobile. (I don't know if you noticed, your FM2 has hands-on tactile controls.)

You don't have to understand it, the Zfc does appeal to many photogs.
Here's direct side by side comparisons:
front.png
rear.png

Last edited:
All Z lenses can be used. Also the first manufacturing run of the Zfc is sold out w/ pre-orders. Good marketing decision and better than Nikon expected.
Well still don't get why they don't have DX lenses. How can a pre order product get sold out? That is kind of funny. I don't get the whole thing.

At best, it's just a tchotchke that Nikon will probably end up selling at a discount with a kit lens. At worst, it's further unnerving evidence that Nikon's incapable of leaning into the future.

I think Nikon is reaching here, maybe out of desperation and I shot Nikon so as a unbiased view dumb.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back