Nikons 35mm Wide-Angle Lens, which one to get?

ado.con

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally found the time to bring back my photography hobby back to life. In a local camera store, I got my hands on a MINT Nikon Fm3a and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Now Im looking for my next lens purchases (already got a 50mm 1,8 AIS) and Im overwhelmed with the wide range of different lenses. Surely, in the future, there must be something like a 18/20, 24/28, maybe a 35 and a 85mm lens in my bag, but lets stick to the wide-angels for now.

Im studying architecture and obviously, for architectural photography, I need a lens for outdoor and indoor scenes. The question is: which are the best options for architectural/landscape photography?
(Ken Rockwell is know for its technical advices, but is it really trustworthy)

What do you think? Too many options and to little knowledge :D

I think you possibly need 2 different lenses. The 35mm 1.4 AI or AIS, or the F2 are superb but you may run into distortion challenges with architectural imagery. For that type of photography, the 28 mm f/3.5 PC-Nikkor AIS would be a better choice. The 25-50 F4 is known as a superb landscape lens. With what little landscape I did, I was happy with my 50-135.

If it's only one lens then I would go with the 25-50 f4

Last edited:
Great camera!

I've owned the Nikkor 35mm f1.4 AI-S lens since the '80s. It's an incredibly sharp lens and without a doubt my most used and favorite lens (90% of the time). I compliment it with a Nikkor 20mm f2.8. I've also had 2 versions of the 85mm as well as the 105mm but found I didn't use them much. Lastly I finish it off with a 180mm f2.8 EDIF.

A good focal length spread is the 20, 35, 85, 180 or 24, 50, 105. 180

Easy correction of perspective issues in post made dedicated PC lenses a bit irrelevant. There's always the hallowed 28/2.8AIS. You might benefit from some quality time eyeballing this site:

Lens Evaluations

Thank you for your advices. I agree, that a PC lens is more or less not necessary anymore.
Someones selling a Nikkor 20mm 2,8 AIS nearby for a relatively cheap price. Ill give it try and hopefully end up with something like 20 / 28 /35 /50 / 85 in the future.
Cheers

Most reactions

Back