Nikons ViewNX or CaptureNX or pse7

Nikon Capture NX is THE best application for working with .NEF images, however, it's clunky, memory-intensive and not at all intuitive.

Some of us use Capture NX because it is less clunky and much more intuitive to our work styles.

Capture NX allows me to do a LOT of things much faster and better than PhotoShop. Is it the only program needed? NO. But it rox.

I don't have PSE7, I have regular Photoshop 7. I don't have the open to open .nef format. I have the option to open .raw formats however. Thanks for the response though.

I feel your pain. I too have PS7 and cannot open .raw files. I have tried to find a converter to convert in to .raw so that I can open the files. I have a Canon so my files use a .cr2 extension.

nef is raw. dunno why u cant open u shoudl be able to open editor then file open, select the thumbnail nef file etc if its like pse

FYI, it is because the only file extension in PS7 is .raw :thumbdown:. It seems that each camera manufacturer has their own proprietary file type.

what im actually asking is should i see d40 on the drop list?

No. It's not searching for a camera its searching for a camera PICTURE PROFILE. I don't know which settings a D40 has, but im guessing it has the normal VIVID, NEUTRAL, STANDARD, etc. Those should be in the drop down.

I feel your pain. I too have PS7 and cannot open .raw files. I have tried to find a converter to convert in to .raw so that I can open the files. I have a Canon so my files use a .cr2 extension.

FYI, it is because the only file extension in PS7 is .raw :thumbdown:. It seems that each camera manufacturer has their own proprietary file type.

".RAW" isn't a file extension. It is a catchall phrase for each individual companies specific proprietary file extension.

".RAW" isn't a file extension. It is a catchall phrase for each individual companies specific proprietary file extension.

I am speaking in the context of PS7. In that version of PS it is a file extension.

I am speaking in the context of PS7. In that version of PS it is a file extension.

Why are you using that extension? That file format is one created by Adobe Photoshop, not the camera manufacturer. Photoshop 7 should be able to support Adobe Camera Raw, thus open these files you have trouble opening - especially if you are using a CANON camera.

Why are you using that extension? That file format is one created by Adobe Photoshop, not the camera manufacturer. Photoshop 7 should be able to support Adobe Camera Raw, thus open these files you have trouble opening - especially if you are using a CANON camera.

I use Digital Photo Professional and Zoombrowser EX to process my raw files and then move them to Photoshop to continue PP. I have tried to get Camera Raw to work with my system but every time it has issues trying to install. I have given up on it. I don't like having to use the programs I got with my camera as well as PS I wish I could do everything in one program. I think the reason I am having issues with Camera Raw is because it did not release until PS CS. There was a version 1.0 for use with PS 7 but I cannot find a Windows version. I have PSE 3 which is supposed to support Camera Raw but I can't seem to get it to work. I really just need to upgrade but it's a want not a need.

Nikon Capture NX is THE best application for working with .NEF images

Agreed. I just loaded the 60 day trial that came with my D90, and yes it's a bit clunky, but the results are fantastic. Much better than I can get with apples aperture or ACR.

Half an hour working with it has put it on my shopping list for sure.

The later versions of ACR will not work on early (PS7) versions of PS, its to give you adobe grief, simply download the DNG converter, use that first the the dng's can be opened in ACR. h

Most reactions

Back