No budget, new Nikon...go!

Well the D7000 seems to be better than the D300s. I had my mind set to the D300s and have decided to with the D7000. It seems to be a better camera, with the same body and sensor of the D300s and a few hundred bucks cheaper.

Err... what? The D7000 is all new... and yes, I would call it better than the D300s, at least on paper. The body is only very slightly larger than the D90 body, and considerably smaller (in both volume and weight) than the D300s. The sensor is not a D300s sensor, it's a brand new never-before-used (at least not by Nikon) sensor.

@ KAikens
In short, wait up on the D7000 over the D300s.

Oops. My bad.

Well, now you should be even happier. You planned on the D7000 already, and thought it was only AS GOOD AS the D300s, not better. :p

Well the D7000 seems to be better than the D300s. I had my mind set to the D300s and have decided to with the D7000. It seems to be a better camera, with the same body and sensor of the D300s and a few hundred bucks cheaper.

The sensor isnt the same, the d7000 has 16mp, the d300s has 12. Plus, the d300s's sensor is getting old now, and its low light performance is falling behind. The d7000 sensor *should* be much better with this.

Also, the body isn't even close to the same. The d300s has a FULL metal body, meaning that the lens mount, top, back, everything is pretty much metal. The d7000 basically just has metal armor on the top and back, the front and the lens mount are still plastic like the d90.

The d7000 is also much smaller than the 300s, its almost the exact same size as the d90.

The sensor isnt the same, the d7000 has 16mp, the d300s has 12. Plus, the d300s's sensor is getting old now, and its low light performance is falling behind. The d7000 sensor *should* be much better with this.

Also, the body isn't even close to the same. The d300s has a FULL metal body, meaning that the lens mount, top, back, everything is pretty much metal. The d7000 basically just has metal armor on the top and back, the front and the lens mount are still plastic like the d90.

The d7000 is also much smaller than the 300s, its almost the exact same size as the d90.

so is the D7000 better than the 300s? I am basically looking for something that will be great for portraiture and sports alike, but sometimes I do concert photography so low light is important as well. I noticed the thread going on about high ISO and my D80 definitely does not perform well with high ISO.

What do you have now?
I don't think going to another crop sensor is really an upgrade at all.
If you are going to upgrade, go full frame.

Yep, I think he is going to have to go full frame...
Will those lens autofocus on a D7000?

Yes I believe so. Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't it have the same AF motor as the D90?

"Lens compatibility: Nikkor F Mount, AF-S, AF-I, AF-D, Manual Nikkor AI/AIS (metering use built-in coupling on D7000)

I am a she actually. Lol

Looking at the D700...looks like a good camera. Adorama has it for $4600 including the 70-200mm VR AF-S 2.8 which is a pretty good deal I think. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I thought the models in the thousands were entry level like the D80?

but what is the upgrade?
From a D80 to a D7000? It does not seem like much difference in the two cameras

but what is the upgrade?
From a D80 to a D7000? It does not seem like much difference in the two cameras

That is what I was thinking. Other than MP size...there really doesn't seem to be much difference. I think the D700 looks good. :)

Hah yeah the D700 looks good I think the D7000 looks more like the D3000 and D5000, but that's just IMO. I love the look of the D3x but then again, what regular person that is a hobbyist has $7,000.00 to spend on a camera body?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back