Nobody Mentioned that Flashes EAT batteries

sm4him said:
Thanks everyone! I went out yesterday and got some Energizer 2300 mAh NiMH batteries for the short term. I have a very basic 8-hour charger, but will probably buy a nicer one and some more batteries in the next few weeks.

Used the NiMH batteries for a short time last night; I can already tell they'll make a huge difference. Even having used the flash full-power for many of the shots (on purpose--testing how long the flash would last as much as experimenting with how to use it), it's still going strong this morning.

Sm4him,
I have run into almost your exact same issue (bought 2- 560s which chew through batteries) and was going to ask this question on TPF but, decided to search the forum before I started the new thread. So I guess I was wondering, since its three months later, are you happy with your choice? Thanks :)
John

Absolutely; just about any decent rechargeable will be multitudes better than regular batteries. I keep meaning to buy some "better" batteries and a better charger that were recommended to me, but the Energizers I bought are still working just fine, and last plenty long enough for me.

Of course, I'm not doing all day intensive photo shoots or anything, but I have gone out all day, shooting with my macro lens, using flash 90% of the time, and not even had to change the batteries when I get home. I'm changing my batteries maybe once every couple of weeks now instead of every 3 hours. ;)

Don't store batteries in your speedlights for more than a week or 2.

If you leave them in longer you can have corrosion issues in the speedlight's battery compartment.

Also, if a speedlight hasn't been used in several weeks, the main flash capacitor will under go some changes such that it won't deliver full power when first used again. The capacitor needs to be re-formed. Re-form the main capacitor by firing the speedlight at it's full power setting 5 to 10 times. That will reverse the changes that occur in the capacitor from an extended period of non-use.

That's good to know, KmH, thanks.

I do usually take my batteries out of my flash if I don't think I'll be using it soon--but generally speaking, I use it at least every other day. Should I just take the batteries out of it at night anyway, and put them in the next time I use it?
I would NEVER have known the other information about the capacitor--I would have just figured my flash had turned into a doorstop. ;) So, good to know.

dont want to steal your post sm4him, but since so many people are talking about the enterloops on there off camera flash, has anyone used enerloops on vivitar 285's? i bought some and were going to use them in all my flashes, there currently in my sb-900 but the vivitar manual I believe said not to use those type batteries, just wondering if anyone has or not.

I've had numerous chargers, all the way from cheapo junk to an expensive MAHA brand (can't recall the model) and also cheap and expensive NiMH batteries and none of them last very long. As for them not developing a memory, I don't believe it for one minute. Every single one of my NiMH batteries developed memory when charged from a less than fully discharged state.

Usually within a period of about 4-6 months every battery (which was never heavily used or abused) would last less than 40-50% time from full charge than when they were new. I tried the full discharge/regeneration cycles, slow charging, etc and it made no difference. 6 months and they didn't work worth a hoot anymore.

I have a Milwaukee brand drill/driver that came with NiMH batteries and they too were junk in about 6 months. Batteries fully charge and in less than 10 screws driven needed charging again. Did the full discharge/recycle/regen thing (the charger is supposed to "condition" the batteries) but it had no effect. My old Bosch drill/driver with NiCAD batteries (8 years old) still gets a good charge and will run rings around the NiMH batteries in my 1.5 year old Milwaukee.

I was pretty upset with all this at one point because I sank a lot of money in NiMH batteries and chargers and I've been all over forums in the past on this and it seems many are in the same boat as I am and many are singing the praises of NiMH. I can't believe it is coincidence.

Sorry to rain on any parades here, but I am not impressed with NiMH at all. At least not in my experience.

I didn't read the rest of the responses, but you cannot go wrong with PowerEx batteries by Maha Energy. They may cost a bit more up front, but they easily pay for themselves. I've had my 4 sets for almost 5 years and they still go strong and have only dropped their power charge down to 2500mh on average from the original 2700. Add in a set or two of their Immedion batteries so you have some sets that will hold their charge to lay in the bottom of the camera bag just in case.
MAHA / POWEREX 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries 4pc Pack w/ Carrying Case

Get one of the charger/reconditioners to go with them and it will be a very long time before you ever buy batteries again... MAHA / POWEREX MH-C9000 WizardOne Charger-Analyzer for 4 AA / AAA

Ohhh, and on the note of batteries being left in the flash. I've found that if I use the flash, turn it off and leave the batteries in it with the flash off they die off quickly. But if I use the flash, turn it off, then open and close the battery door they hold their charge longer. This is with both 580EX II that I have.

Last edited:
sm4him said:
Absolutely; just about any decent rechargeable will be multitudes better than regular batteries. I keep meaning to buy some "better" batteries and a better charger that were recommended to me, but the Energizers I bought are still working just fine, and last plenty long enough for me.

Of course, I'm not doing all day intensive photo shoots or anything, but I have gone out all day, shooting with my macro lens, using flash 90% of the time, and not even had to change the batteries when I get home. I'm changing my batteries maybe once every couple of weeks now instead of every 3 hours. ;)

Thanks for the update. I read the reviews online and figured I would see how you liked the energizers. I went with Duracell for now but think I'm eventually going to try the envelops. I also purchased a sb700. I'm hoping it's a little more user friendly than the yougnuo 560s.
Kmh, thanks for the additional info on flashes. I wouldn't have ever known that and certainly would have ruined at least one of the flashes.

Eneloop from Sanyo. One of the top, if not the best rechargeable batteries around right now. They also can hold the charge a very long time, so you don't have to worry about them draining when not being used.

Cannot agree with this more. I've probably got 30 Eneloop batteries for my speedlights and they are fantastic. Not only do you get much higher capacity out of them (they last longer) but I notice a significant boost in recycle time. I want to say at full power I noticed recycling a full second faster.

Eneloops come at a premium but arguably the best ones around and well worth the premium.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back