Noise and Camera's

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What makes one camera better at handling noise than another? For example as far as I know a D3200 and a D5200-D5300 have the same sensor and electronics apart from a few extra settings in the 5 models. But people say that the 5series is better at handling noise. My question is how can something that is meant to have the same guts handle noise and picture quality differently? This question could also reach to the Nikon & series as well and I'm sure the Canon lines.
I was asked this question earlier by a mate and to be honest I was stumped for a reply having never really thought about it and just generally accepted that higher models should handle noise better than lower.

Thanks

What makes one camera better at handling noise than another? For example as far as I know a D3200 and a D5200-D5300 have the same sensor and electronics apart from a few extra settings in the 5 models. But people say that the 5series is better at handling noise. My question is how can something that is meant to have the same guts handle noise and picture quality differently? This question could also reach to the Nikon & series as well and I'm sure the Canon lines.
I was asked this question earlier by a mate and to be honest I was stumped for a reply having never really thought about it and just generally accepted that higher models should handle noise better than lower.

Thanks
If they had exactly the same "Guts" then they would cost pretty much the same price. I don't know whether the D3xxx series and D5xxx series share the same sensor or not, maybe they do and maybe they don't, but even so the sensor isn't everything. I'd be willing to bet that the difference in price reflects a difference in electronics, one of which may be in how the circuits limit noise.

I'm not familiar with Nikon stuff but where Canon's are concerned the full frame cameras have much lower noise at high ISO settings than APS-C cameras. So far as I am aware, which isn't all that far :wink:, full frame cameras will mostly have about the same ability to handle noise and ditto for the APS-C camera lines.

As far as I know the D5200/D5300 has the same sensor as the D7100 and not the D3200
Same hardware should give same results in low light, I think more advance processors might give some advantage but I doubt it can make a world of difference.

Thanks

D3200 has a Nikon-made sensor.
D5200 has a Toshiba sensor that claims an improved light gathering architecture.

I am not sure if it makes D5200 better at high ISO, but the fact is - these models have different sensors.

D5200 has a Toshiba sensor that claims an improved light gathering architecture.

I am not sure if it makes D5200 better at high ISO, but the fact is - these models have different sensors.

This makes more sense now . . . I think lol

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is not correct the sensor in the D3200 is a Sony straight out of the A77, A65, Nex7. Nikon has no wafer fabrication capability,

There's alot of chips and things inside the case. I'm sure it's different for all the models.
The 3x00 and 5x00 lack alot of OCF flash features of the d7x00
I'm sure there's chips that help process ISO, etc. and the cheaper models probably have less capable chip sets.

Here's a breakdown of the 5200
http://www.chipworks.com/en/technic...og/inside-the-nikon-d5200-dslr-toshiba-found/

teardown of a d7000
Teardown of the Nikon D7000 DSLR | Chipworks Blog

The sensors of the D3, D3s, D700 and D3100 are made by Nikon | Nikon Rumors

I actually like loud cameras. I don't understand why people don't like them?

Is there a way i can make my camera louder?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back