Noisier Summer or Noisier Winter

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I remember hearing hot places usually causes the sensor to produce lots of noise, so is summer or winter noisier? Summer - more heat, brighter day. Winter - less heat, darker day.

I wouldn't think there is any way to differentiate noise amounts of two different seasons. If you do constant long exposures, its better to be in a cold environment where the batteries and camera will stay cool to avoid noise from the heat.

There are different causes for image noise, and one of those causes is the temperature of the image sensor.

Astronomers cool their digital image sensors. Pro astronomers use liquid nitrogen (-346° to -321°) under presure to minimize thermal noise when making long exposures, some exposures as long as 8 hours. Amateur astronomers use digital cameras specially for astrophotography that use electrical cooling systems. Hereis one that can keep the image sensor at 40°c below ambient air temperature:
Orion Parsec 10100C Color Astronomical Imaging Camera

In winter the cold can seriously shorten the charge life of batteries but the cold rcan educe thermal noise, while hot summer air tempertures can definately add to the earlier onset of DSLR thermal noise.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are different causes for image noise, and one of those causes is the temperature of the image sensor.

Astronomers cool their digital image sensors. Pro astronomers use liquid nitrogen (-346° to -321°) under presure to minimize thermal noise when making long exposures, some exposures as long as 8 hours. Amateur astronomers use digital cameras specially for astrophotography that use electrical cooling systems. Hereis one that can keep the image sensor at 40°c below ambient air temperature:
Orion Parsec 10100C Color Astronomical Imaging Camera

In winter the cold can seriously shorten the charge life of batteries but the cold rcan educe thermal noise, while hot summer air tempertures can definately add to the earlier onset of DSLR thermal noise.

Wow, that thing is really expensive, those amateurs must be really rich.

EDIT: Wait... it's a camera, I thought it was a camera cooler. hehe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back