Noisy action shots?

d-ran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any advice to why my action shots are coming out so noisy? New camera, new to photography. Took some action shots at the carnival the other day and they came out still like there supposed to,no blur, but very noisy.
Thats using the action setting, what if I set my shutter speed? recomendations? I don't recall what the shutter speed was at the time.

Thanks
Darin

What ISO do you have it set at? A high ISO will increase the noise.

Lower iso will mean less noise? don't recall any of the settings before.

Lower iso will mean less noise? don't recall any of the settings before.

Yes, increasing ISO increases noise.

Firstly, I'd recommend learning about exposure...aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Then you won't have to use the 'action' setting...or any of the 'picture modes'.

In lower light, you will often need a high ISO or a slow shutter speed, in order to get enough light for an exposure. The trade off with higher ISO is digital noise...especially on cameras with smaller sensors (non-SLR digicams).

With a decent camera, you can shoot at high ISO and still get good results, but are methods to help you out. Firstly, 'expose to the right'...that means setting the exposure to be brighter, rather than darker. When you adjust an image (on the computer) it gets a lot worse when you adjust it brighter....but if it's bright to start with and you need to adjust it darker...the noise won't show up as much.

Also, you could run 'noise reduction' on the image...either with a standard program like Photoshop or with a specific noise program like Neat Image or Noise Ninja.

well like I said, it's a new cam to me so I havent tried messing with any settings yet. I'll try bringing the iso down, I know the lighting wasn't so great, maybe later if I get a chance i'll post up a couple examples.

Most reactions

Back