Noms noms!

Looks good! I too think that just a teeeeeeeny bit more DOF on a couple of them would be better though.

That cupcake with the Andes mint on it though... DO WANT!

Lol yeah that was one of the few that I wouldn't have minded taking home. I did get a box of Chocolate raspberry brownies, but I gave them to the hubby because all of that stuff is just too sweet for me. Going back there in a few minutes to drop off the CD to him...may buy some yummy cookies while I am there :D Or one of those monster Rice Krispie treats...I love love love those

I would buy this guy out !!!

You did an excellent job. Indeed next time, try a bit more light and see how that works.
I see a lot of food fotography where the light is very bright.

I guess I have found my photography 'niche'. Lol. Usually when I post photos on the forum they do not get the best of reviews. Haha. Food is great, it doesn't move, doesn't blink, doesn't talk, does what you tell it to, and you can photograph it for as long as you need without it getting tired and irritable :D

[quote, gsgary;2125822]You did ok :thumbup:, for me you need more light and more diffusion and better focus

Focus?? Really? Food photography is usually shot with a small DOF...

I think the focus looks fine personally[/QUOTE]

The last 2 shots look very soft to me, F1.8 is too much being that close, they do use shallow DOF but the whole of the cake in a line of 3 should be in focus

Dropped of the CDs to him and was greeted with a box of number 7, number 10, and a cupcake that had a Lindt truffle baked into the middle of it with another truffle on top. So much for the diet. And I get to go back in a month to do more! Lol

I'd suggest practicing on using some rim lighting as your key light, with a fill card in the front. It's a technique that adds lots of texture to food.

Here are a few more for your tastebud's enjoyment ;)

DSC_0061-1.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0165-1.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

And here is the shop, as you can see, a lot of pink!

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

I definitely agree that you should increase your DoF.

Otherwise, well done :D

Feeling very validated right now...just got an email from the shop owner...

"Excellent Job!!!

You will be my photographer until I sell the business or go out business..."

Yay! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::thumbup:

I can't remember if I rained on anyone's parade here... ever, but I have to tell you this work is not up to par.

The lack of any lighting scheme is killing all of these. As epatsellis eluded to, there's no punch, modeling, texture... it's just not there.

The second bunch is much better with the closer cropping. And, yes... the DoF is a bit shallow on some. But man, the lack of lighting is a real problem.

Your composition is OK. There is a lack of attention to detail, which is very important when working in this close... stray crumbs, smeared icing...

I understand you got a lot done in little time, and sometimes that's all the job allows. But please don't believe that this is good photography.

Truly, my intent is not to hurt. It had to said. I'd want to know if I were in your shoes.

-Pete

I can't remember if I rained on anyone's parade here... ever, but I have to tell you this work is not up to par.

The lack of any lighting scheme is killing all of these. As epatsellis eluded to, there's no punch, modeling, texture... it's just not there.

The second bunch is much better with the closer cropping. And, yes... the DoF is a bit shallow on some. But man, the lack of lighting is a real problem.

Your composition is OK. There is a lack of attention to detail, which is very important when working in this close... stray crumbs, smeared icing...

I understand you got a lot done in little time, and sometimes that's all the job allows. But please don't believe that this is good photography.

Truly, my intent is not to hurt. It had to said. I'd want to know if I were in your shoes.

-Pete

That is your opinion and you are more than entitled to it....

HOWEVER....the shop owner thinks that is not just good photography, it's great photography and I now have a contract with him for the entire time he is in business. We all come from different necks of the woods, and I guess where you are, things have to be shot with big fancy equipment that we out here in the sticks can't afford. I recently purchased a macro ring flash, macro extension tubes, and a second off camera flash with wireless set up just for this client. All discounted equipment, so I am sure it still won't be up to par for some, but I got paid for a job that I thought and that the shop owner thought was well done.

I don't mind the constructive criticism at all about the stray crumbs and such, that is stuff I can use for the next shoot. However I do take offense when you say this is not good photography. That's just how I feel. This is something I was really proud of, and then to be told that it is not good (albeit you are the ONLY one who has said so), kind of crushes the spirit whether it is meant to or not. That comment could have been left out, it was not constructive in the least.

Edit: Now that I have checked out some of your responses to others in this forum, I don't feel so bad anymore. You are this high and mighty with everyone.

Thanks to everyone else as well about the comments about DOF. I am going to work on that on next month's shoot and try to get a little more in focus.

That is your opinion and you are more than entitled to it....

HOWEVER....the shop owner thinks that is not just good photography, it's great photography...

And he/she is not a photographer.

We all come from different necks of the woods, and I guess where you are, things have to be shot with big fancy equipment that we out here in the sticks can't afford.

I bet if you look around your town, you'll see folks driving a Lexus... Mercedes... People in "the sticks" can afford stuff as much as anyone else.

I recently purchased a macro ring flash, macro extension tubes, and a second off camera flash with wireless set up just for this client. All discounted equipment, so I am sure it still won't be up to par for some...

It's not about the equipment. It's about how it's being used.

This is something I was really proud of, and then to be told that it is not good (albeit you are the ONLY one who has said so)

Which is what compelled me to say it.

kind of crushes the spirit whether it is meant to or not.

And I regret that. I knew it would be hard to hear, but cared enough to say it.

Edit: Now that I have checked out some of your responses to others in this forum, I don't feel so bad anymore. You are this high and mighty with everyone.

Please cite any example of this... especially where you feel I was incorrect.

Look... I'm not saying I have all the answers, or my work is the pinnacle, or you're not capable of doing great work. This just isn't it.

Sorry.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back