non-dedicated flash

Taleman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a non-dedicated flash unit, how do I know if its ok to use with my camera? I use an Olympus E-510

Are you looking for an 'off brand' flash that will still communicate with your camera for TTL metering etc? Or do you want an 'auto' flash that meters for itself? Or do you want a purely manual flash?

When using an off-brand flash on your camera, one thing to be concerned about is the trigger voltage. You would need to know the capacity of your camera and the voltage of the flash. Most cameras are pretty good these days but I don't know about yours. Most new flashes are pretty low but who knows?

What is your budget and what are you looking to use it for?

Are you looking for an 'off brand' flash that will still communicate with your camera for TTL metering etc? Or do you want an 'auto' flash that meters for itself? Or do you want a purely manual flash?

When using an off-brand flash on your camera, one thing to be concerned about is the trigger voltage. You would need to know the capacity of your camera and the voltage of the flash. Most cameras are pretty good these days but I don't know about yours. Most new flashes are pretty low but who knows?

What is your budget and what are you looking to use it for?

Manual or auto is fine, but preferably manual. Its just for general use and to play around with so the i dont want to pay too much for it...i dont really have a budget for it...under $100 (i might make an exception thought)

Sunpak 544. Got a few of em myself. High power. Fast recycle time w/ lithium batts. Perfect for off-camera work when you can't afford or can't use studio lights.

283/285's have god-awful recycle times and slightly awkward controls.

Most reactions

Back