Non-Newbie But Need a Newbie-Type Reference

kanga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been handling cameras of one sort or another for about 60 years (Brownie; foldout camera that used 620 film; 40's model Retina II).
More recently (~12 years) I've used a Coolpix 995 then shifted to my current equipment:
-- Nikon D90 DSLR
-- Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED
-- Nikon N AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm 1:2.8G ED

Because about 80% of my work now is done with the Micro lens I find that I'm badly deficient in the basic technical aspects of photography.
I have a fuzzy knowledge of the terms shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, etc.
So I need a more rigorous discussion of them.
But more importantly I need to know how they affect/interact with each other.
When I'm 6" away from my target and I want my image to LOOK like the target I need a good understanding of how the mix of exposure factors interplay.
Fortunately my targets don't move.

I need a book that will get me up to speed.
Suggestions, please.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the responses.

BTW, the one book I DO have is Numismatic Photography: 2nd Edition by Mark Goodman.
But it's sort of an "after you've got the basics down" type of book.
I look at the pictures I've taken and I can see where I've improved but I'm not satisfied.

Most of my images of raw coins were done with a scanner.
The coins end up looking lifeless mostly (I think) because I can't control the lighting.

The coins I imaged with the Coolpix 995 are better but I was pushing that camera's capabilities to the limit which wasn't good enough.
Playing around with Photoshop is difficult.
I can improve certain aspects of the image but lose elsewhere.
And it takes WAY too long.

Now that I have the D90 and 60mm micro lens I figure that if I get the settings correct I shouldn't have to Photoshop the image except for cropping and scaling.
I don't mind taking an image, looking at it and then adjusting the camera settings and taking another.
And repeating until it looks right.
That's faster than Photoshop.
What I have to learn is WHAT settings to adjust; by how much would come with experience.

So you can see where I am so far:

Scanned Coin
$1-1910.jpg

Early Image (Coolpix 995)
$2-1865-Final-txt.jpg

Later Image (Nikon D90)
$10hf-1795o-50.jpg

To replace the very flat lighting (which hides detail), for the camera, try once to move your light to be side lighting. Lower than 45 degree elevation, maybe half that height, or 25 degree elevation. Stand up a sheet of white paper or a white board reflector on the opposite side, to reflect a little of it back, as fill light. The idea is that the raised relief of the coins will then cast a small shadow to make the shape stand out sharper, details shows better. The fill reflector makes it just be not so dark.

The last coin already has a bit of that, lighted from the top, with shadows in the lower relief. It makes a difference, and is a good thing. The others need it.

Look into "White Balance" also so you can get true colors.
As far as Photoshop is concerned it sounds like you would do well with just Lightroom. You could shoot is raw format, process for the final shot quickly and have a tool to catalog and track your shots.

I love micro lens shots but I am horrible at it. Not sure what I do wrong. Great tips though. I will definitely look at some of these resources.

Most reactions

Back