Noob in need of setting & speedlight tips!

asheeants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all.. I'm am somewhat new to the wonderful world of photography, have gotten by well with the basics but now I'm trying to take it up a notch. A friend has asked me to do boudoir photos for her. She has chosen a few photos for me to reference for the shoot to get a good idea on what she's looking for. I'm not confident that I know exactly how to pull these off and even though my friend isn't expecting perfection and she knows I'm a noob I still hope to surprise her with some actual results. The shoot will take place in my bedroom, it has decent natural lighting. I will be shooting with my nikon D90 & 18-55 lens, SB600 speedlight, & I also have reflector & white board if needed. No factory back drops, maybe some shots by the window with sheer curtains, & bed shots with a nice wooded head board, and I have white walls. I just got the speedlight in today so I'm not really up to par on how to use it yet but will be practicing before the shoot. My questions are: What settings, lighting, ect would best allow me to produce results that are close to the example photos? What settings, lighting, ect would you use in a boudoir shoot? & What over all tips or advice can you provide that can help me improve in this type of photography? Anything would be appreciated guys, I'm just a newbie trying to find my way.

Last edited:
FYI... You can only post pictures that you have taken.

The comment above says a lot.
Next place the flash on your camera, start shooting, start bouncing it and adjusting power.

The comment above says a lot.
Next place the flash on your camera, start shooting, start bouncing it and adjusting power.

This pretty much sums it up. Taking your Flash off camera would open up more possibility's, but without light modifiers, your still dealing with harsh light that you will more then likely need to bounce off walls and ceilings.

There is sooooo many different ways to use light! Light is what makes a photo and light makes a photo more interesting than just capturing time.

I have been reading and reading about OCF and have recently purchased a few PW's. NOW, let the fun begin!

Good luck with your light!

check out this guy's site Strobist, it is very helpful and is referenced on this forum a lot. He really puts a lot of effort into sharing his knowledge with the world. I have been reading it and working through some of the exercises and am learning a lot about off-camera lighting.

Thanks guys, sry failed to read through all the rules of the forum didn't know i couldn't post other photos. Thanks for the tips!

check out this guy's site Strobist, it is very helpful and is referenced on this forum a lot. He really puts a lot of effort into sharing his knowledge with the world. I have been reading it and working through some of the exercises and am learning a lot about off-camera lighting.

I looked around the site and I think I can learn a lot from this guy! Thanks!

Most reactions

Back