noob question, for choosing the wide angle

takealook

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I am fresh to photography, choosing my first wide angle lens for landscape.
Here is my question:
I have never owned any ultra wide lens, so I searched around to find the focal range for me. I found most picture I liked are from lens of focal around 24mm.
Should I get a ultra-wide 21mm or the super-ultra-wide 15mm?
I think it's the wider the better here, but as a freshman in photography is that true the wider lens are harder to handle? Maybe the 21mm it's more than enough for most of us? Or the even 15mm is just for those people who have really weird view of the world;)?

Since I am a clueless newbie, can u help me?Any recommendation would be appreciated.
The budget isn't too tight by the way, since I would want to get into photography seriously.(Just in case we always have to know our limit :sexywink:)

Without knowing how much you have to spend, recommendations are difficult, but it's hard to go wrong with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8; probably the best of the third-party UWA zooms.

Without knowing how much you have to spend, recommendations are difficult, but it's hard to go wrong with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8; probably the best of the third-party UWA zooms.
Thanks for the
recommendation first.

I check the 11-16 tokina. From my observation, it's for 1.6x only? I have my only 5D camera now, so maybe a full frame lens suit me better?
As in your recommendation, it's that true to get a wider lens is better than the other?
I am very interested in the zeiss 21mm lens. Is that a good choice? Comparing to the 14mm from Canon or wide zooms?
Thanks a lot.

Thanks to all you guys~~
I think I might want to earn more money for the ultra wide gear, as you are suggesting the ultra ultra wide lens which is slightly more expensive than the 21mm zeiss~:sexywink:
I'm pretty much confirmed with that the wider the better

A wide angle lens tends to flatten out perspective in the average landscape shot and can make a possibly interesting shot, dull. In a building or structure shot it distorts parallel lines into converging ones and causes lean on buildings. If you are the type of noob who backs up to take a picture than an ultrawide may not be for you.

Wide angle lens are great for increasing the "apparent" depth of field and for working in close. I have for example done a number of projects that involved shooting in a kindergarten classroom, where the kids are almost close enough to touch the camera. One needs however to see and be aware of perspective distortion and in some cases change camera angle to reduce it. In the landscape area, a wide angle lens is great for shooting straight down the edge of a cliff or in the city shooting down the buildings from a precarious position on the roof. So, if you are the venturesome type, that recognizes the best camera position for a wide angle shot then it is a worthwhile purchase but one needs to avoid the potential flat, dull shots with lots in the photo but few "verticals" to add interest in the foreground.

skieur

hi skieur~
appreciated for the reply and explanation

I do love the landscape and the building shots. So I guess the wide angles match my desire.
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back