Noob :) sharing a few to get started

rallysman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a few shots that I've managed to capture with my Nikon D50. I've had the camera for about 2 years, which is about how long I've been relatively seriously interested in photography. Let me have it! I'll give you a few that I like.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Thanks for looking. This looks like a pretty awesome site!

last shot is really cool! what was it shot with?

last shot is really cool! what was it shot with?

Thanks. That was shot with a D50/28-200mm and was lit by a SB-600 flash that was fired by an audio flash trigger that I made. It fires the flash when it "hears" something.

Edit: If you're asking what I used to shoot the can, it was an 1100fps pellet rifle

The last one is a little piece of terrific. Excellent technique. I like this one best.

#2 and #3 seem a little over-saturated.

#1 really causes a good double-take. I think anyone scrolling down a page, or looking at a row of pictures will stop on this one and give 'er a longer look.

I can see what you're saying with too much saturation. They're very mild HDR shots which may be why they appear that way. I could have toned it down a bit in PP.

Thanks for the feedback!

I really like number 1 and 4. Man number 4 is the type of shot I have been trying to figure out for years. Great job.

Michael

Well at least you used pbr for the last one. :lol:

The last one is really good imo.

thanks everyone...there is no alcohol abuse...

There is a reason I chose PBR to shoot! LOL

To be honest, the first three don't do much for me. They feel like they're lacking a subject or not making enough of the subjects already present.

The last one, technique-wise, is superb! Excellently timed, well pulled off and has the potential to be a real mind-blower. I would suggest a few improvements though. First off, your background - grey isn't the prettiest colour in the world and for this sort of shot, I'd suggest something much more vivid; something for the explosion to jump out of. Maybe some OOF green shrubbery, or even an artificial coloured background, like a big sheet of blue paper. Secondly, the angle of the shot. Personally, I'd like to see it have a bit more depth, and to do this, I'd simply move the camera. Maybe have the explosion coming more towards the shot and the can recoiling away, so shoot it from somewhere closer to your camera (just don't let your camera get wet!!!). I think it'd be cool to have the explosion 'jumping out of the photo' towards the viewer. Finally, buy a brand of beer that contrasts nicely with whatever background you happen to choose. Just a few thoughts... take them as you like.

But like I say, you've got the basics spot on. Excellent start for a self professed noob.

Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone.
#2 and 3 were hand held HDR attempts that I over processed. I liked the intensity but I felt like something was either missing or exaggerated. I think I know now lol.

The last shot is something that I want to keep trying to improve on. It's a technique that's not very common and it's difficult to make it more of a "wow" shot by switching backgrounds and angles. If I had a fast long lens it would be easier, but at this point in time it's just dangerous. I switched to cans after I got some glass stuck in my arm.

Thanks again everyone:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back