NORITSU SCANNER

benjaminpendleton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a few transparencies onto digital. I'm looking for high quality resolution. A well-known camera store (close to where I live and with convenient hours) has a Noritsu scanner and says that it can produce "ultra" high results. Anyone have any comments?

I'm not a fan. At all. I once had a "digital contact sheet" scanned on a noritsu come out pixelated. I was baffled. I just don't like the system at all. It's a status quo for minilabs.

Depending on how much you're willing to shell out for an "ultra high quality" scan, I'd opt for a drum scan, on something like a Heidelberg, if you could afford it.

It depends on which Noritsu scanner they have - but none could be called 'ultra' high quality, except by the standards of minilab scanners. They are capable of reasonably good results. The current scanners will scan 35 mm to 4492x6774 pixels for the HS model and 4011x6048 for the two LS models. Earlier models could also do similar resolutions. They are often operated at much lower resolutions, and hence higher speeds - which is probably what caused Alpha's problem.

Best,
Helen

Thanks (again!) to both of you!

So, if I do go with a Noritsu, I need to make sure that they're operating at a slower speed (the shop I looking at said they offered 3 different quality levels of scanning...)

Where do I look for drum scanners? Can they only be found in photo shops and photo labs? Or can I find them at print and graphic design shops?

Thanks for your patience!

I have a Noritsu QSS 3201SD + Noritsu S4 scanner and I don't how to change the output size of a 35mm negative to the maximum. It set on 2048x3072 and I read that the S4 can scan even 4492x6774. Can anyone help me with some advice on how can I do that? Thank you for your help.

You can find drum scanners pretty inexpensively on ebay these days. The Flextights can be had relatively inexpensive - while very high quality, it's important to note that these are not true drum scanners. Running a true drum scanner is not as simple as placing a sheet in a copier, and there is a learning curve involved.

As for who you could go to to have a drumscan made? It used to be pretty easy, anymore, I'm not sure how common this service is and you may need to send out for them. The only places I've known of are no longer in operation.

Most reactions

Back