Photos NOT OK to edit
Fulmar close up by Mark Coull, on Flickr

Northern Fulmar by Mark Coull, on Flickr

Northern Fulmar close up by Mark Coull, on Flickr

He's a slightly large set from my visit to RSPB Fowlsheugh on Sunday morning. Think I was slightly early in the season as there were only Fulmars to photograph. Hopefully in the coming weeks the place will fill out with Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwake, various gulls and our resident Puffins. Bit rusty, but really enjoyed getting back into photographing birds in flight :)

Nice set Mark! When I looked at your first image I thought maybe the Fulmar had a damaged beak then realized that is normal. To spit out salt water? Also like seeing the different perspective from shooting from above.

Nice set Mark! When I looked at your first image I thought maybe the Fulmar had a damaged beak then realized that is normal. To spit out salt water? Also like seeing the different perspective from shooting from above.
Thanks Brent,

Fulmars have a gland above their nasal passage that excretes a saline solution to help them get rid of all the salt in the water they drink while feeding. They also produce a stomach oil that they use to spit at predators and to use for feeding chicks and adults while flying vast distances.

Very nice Mark, I was on Sanday, off Orkney a few years back and had a walk along a cliff top where the fulmars got very close indeed, within 5 feet of our head at times. They were having a ball playing in the updrafts around the cliffs and I don't think we were expected to be there!

Great set, and an informative and interesting thread. Thanks.

Very nice Mark, I was on Sanday, off Orkney a few years back and had a walk along a cliff top where the fulmars got very close indeed, within 5 feet of our head at times. They were having a ball playing in the updrafts around the cliffs and I don't think we were expected to be there!
I swear they were trying to high five me at times. I love watching them stiff winged just soar about, trying to follow their patterns. Great seabird to practice panning on.

Most reactions

Back