Northern Lights Photography - help please

pausop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an Olympus ZX-1. Could somebody please give me the settings that I need to be able to take great pictures of the Northern Lights?
I am a beginner so have no idea of how to do manuel settings.
Is there any pre-sets on my camera that would work if I cannot find a suitable custom setting?
I will be in Finland (Kiilopää) over christmas so im assuming no daylight!

I have tried to do some research but unfortunately it all goes way above my head as in way too much information. I just end up getting lost and confused!

I appreciate any help.

Thank You

Hi,

I've had a quick look at your camera specs and would suggest that you try the following.

Make sure the camera is on a tripod and use the self timer to trigger the shutter.
Use the widest zoom (24mm). Then in manual mode set f1.8 iso 3200 at 20 seconds. If this is too dark try 30 seconds or 6400 iso / or both. Any more than 30 seconds you will get star trails. If it is too bright just reduce your iso. It really is trial and error. As for a focus point, set infinite or focus on a bright star by making it as small as possible as you focus in and out. Oh and if the moon is out you will be trouble, you want no moon!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk 4

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I really am a beginner so i'm sorry for not understanding some of the terms.

I have a tripod so thats a good start.

How do i use or make sure the camera is on the widest zoom? Does that mean I need to zoom as far as it will go? Out or in? Bigger or smaller?

How do i set the manual focus? How do I set infinite focus?

I hope I don't have a moon too. I love the moon but not in this case.

Wide, zoom out, make everything small so you can fit as much in as possible.

I don't have your camera so I don't know how to manually focus it. Have a look in the manual, it might not be possible.

I would practice some night shots before you go.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for your help.

Do you have any idea how I can check the Histogram, how should it look? All in the mid-tones or distributed evenly?

Do you have any idea how I can check the Histogram, how should it look? All in the mid-tones or distributed evenly?
That really depend on what do you want to shoot. The histogram is just a tool for you to check weather your photo overexpose or underexpose. If you are shooting in the dark, properly your histogram should be mostly on the left.
Learn more about histogram on my blog here.

Most reactions

Back