Best setting /equipment to capture northern lights?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
will be going next month to alaska fairbanks to catch the northern lights.

bought a completely new camera (fujifilm xt 4) due to ergonomics and light for traveling. I currently have the wide lens 10-24 mm lens.

Anyone have any experience with this camera and also shooting in conditions like alaska at -40 F temperature handheld and capturing the perfect pics of the northern light as it move across the skies? how do I capture all of its details (stream of purple and green moving across without blurriness) as well as capturing other subjects in it like pine trees with ice (certain angles)

Will also be doing other things in case northern lights don't show. like the ice museum, and dog sled and going to the arctic circle.

I want to run some test shorts so any help is appreciated.

also, will Iphone camera work for this condition just as well? If so, I might just leave the camera at home

will be going next month to alaska fairbanks to catch the northern lights.

bought a completely new camera (fujifilm xt 4) due to ergonomics and light for traveling. I currently have the wide lens 10-24 mm lens.

Anyone have any experience with this camera and also shooting in conditions like alaska at -40 F temperature handheld and capturing the perfect pics of the northern light as it move across the skies? how do I capture all of its details (stream of purple and green moving across without blurriness) as well as capturing other subjects in it like pine trees with ice (certain angles)

Will also be doing other things in case northern lights don't show. like the ice museum, and dog sled and going to the arctic circle.

I want to run some test shorts so any help is appreciated.

also, will Iphone camera work for this condition just as well? If so, I might just leave the camera at home
About all you could want to know here:

I haven’t shot northern lights but I do shoot a lot of astro photography with my Fuji xt2 and xt3. The sweet spot seems to be ISO 3200, f2.8 (Samyang 12mm or Fuji 14mm work well) and shutter speed 12-15 seconds.

ETA re the temps - get a lens warmer or some people use those hand warmers tucked in a wrap. Wipe the lens frequently to remove any condensation.

I was in Iceland a few year ago. I used what I had. A tripod and a Canon T6 rebel with a stock lens.

The Northern Lights were pink and barely visible to the naked eye, but were easy to capture on camera. I shot this at F5.0, 30 sec. 6400 ISO with a 28mm lens. The other folks in the photo had had some really nice gear, in particular, F 1.2 lenses etc.

I have since acquired a faster lens, but not too many Auroras in Indiana. :)
IMG_0329.JPG

I'd recommend a camera that performs well at higher ISO over a phone. Also a tip I learned the hard way. Don't use any filters. I had a UV filter on one camera a few years ago in Michigan & the whole trip was almost ruined when I noticed strange rings & patterns in shots from one camera (fortunately I had two running). it's a phenomenon called Newton's Rings. I've talked several people who have ran into that, specifically doing northern lights shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back