What's new

Northern Minnesota Fall Colors-Critique welcome

Dean Baron

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
New Brighton, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Headed up to the north shore of Lake Superior on Wednesday to visit a couple of state parks and check out the fall colors. The trees hadn't changed as much as I had hoped but there were still some nice colors. These are just a couple of pics that I got done, plenty more to go through but wanted to get atleast a couple up. Critique is welcome. All photos were shot with an Olympus E520 with the kit 28-80mm 3.5-5.6.
Gooseberry Falls State Park:
_9161258.jpg

_9161267.jpg

Tetagouche State Park:
_9161494.jpg

Not really fall colors but I love these kinds of pics so I'm gonna throw it in there anyway:
_9161484.jpg
 
Great work on the 2 first pics
 
I should add in that no editing was done to any of the pics except a little cropping and adding the watermark. Otherwise they are untouched.
 
Last two look a little dark to me but first two look great. Looks like a fun place
 
Nice shots, i live about 40 minutes south of these falls. Come back in the spring after the snow melts, the falls should be flowing nicely by than, waterlevel is a bit low right now.
 
what are your settings for # 3 ??? Im currently still trying to get the "water blur" effect down better.
 
Thanks guys! The water levels were a bit low but I have seen worse. All in all a very fun trip.

what are your settings for # 3 ??? Im currently still trying to get the "water blur" effect down better.

#3 or #4? #4 is the waterfall pic, #3 has a slight water blur but didn't think most people would see it.
Pic #3:
Tripod
Esposure time: 1.6 seconds
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 100

Pic #4:
Tripod
Exposure: 8 seconds
Aperture: f/22
ISO: 100

Keep in mind that I was bracketing, none of these pics are the first exposure I tried taking of the picture. Long exposure time is key to the blurred water, how long it is exposed depends on multiple things.
 
Beautiful shots!! I haven't been to Lake Superior and Gooseberry Falls in over 20 years. But I still remember how great it was. Too bad I was not into photography at that time.

As a resident of (southeast) Minnesota, I appreciate seeing each and every one of the pics of this series. They are fantastic. Well done! :thumbup:
 
Beautiful shots!! I haven't been to Lake Superior and Gooseberry Falls in over 20 years. But I still remember how great it was. Too bad I was not into photography at that time.

As a resident of (southeast) Minnesota, I appreciate seeing each and every one of the pics of this series. They are fantastic. Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks. Gotta love how beautiful our state is!
 
I dunno, the first two don't do too much for me, although 2 does more for me than 1. 3 seems titled and has "branches from hell." 4 I like but I'd step the exposure down slightly.
 
I dunno, the first two don't do too much for me, although 2 does more for me than 1. 3 seems titled and has "branches from hell." 4 I like but I'd step the exposure down slightly.

Thanks for the input. What would you suggest for the first two pics? Why didn't they do much for you?
 
I dunno, the first two don't do too much for me, although 2 does more for me than 1. 3 seems titled and has "branches from hell." 4 I like but I'd step the exposure down slightly.

Thanks for the input. What would you suggest for the first two pics? Why didn't they do much for you?

I can't really put my finger on it. Maybe a lower point of view in the first shot? Closer to the level of the water.

I don't doubt that it is a beautiful place, but sometimes that beauty is really hard to capture in a photograph because its the whole experience in being there that makes it beautiful. It's one of those "More than the sum of it's parts" deals.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom