Norway's third largest glacier: Folgefonna

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It lies partly in my municipality, and this is one of the few places you can see an arm by driving. The lake here is regulated, water power is a major resource in Norway. The water is much melted snow and ice, so it had a clear, greenish colour (it's lost in the processing, though!!) You can see an arm from the glacier slowly moving into the lake, there. Maybe once every ten minutes or so, I heard it cracking. It moves maybe a few centimetres a year, and when that massive block of maybe just moves a millimetre, if that much, I can hear it clearly 200 metres away. This is the Mother Nature that formed large parts of Norway.

I wish I had something with more reach than my 50mm, but not much to do with that. Last one with the Tokina 11-16mm

Breen 5 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Breen 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Breen by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Breen 4 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Bonus shot: closeup of the floating ice. Maybe a bit heavily processed.

Flytis by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Thanks for watching,
Anders

All good stuff; numbers 3 & 4 are the ones I like best.

Did you HDR or Tone Map these, Anders? I like #1.. but it just doesn't look real. I think a crop on it.. to get rid of the stuff in the foreground (a panorama type crop) would really look good!

I love the subject. At first I thought to myself, "Yeah, the glacier is melted!", but then realised it was behind the lake!

I think you've lost a lot of depth by going down the HDR/tone-mapped route. The fact that there are no shadows or light changes throughout any of the scenes makes them seem flat and busy.

For example, there is no separation at all between the small piece of ice in the bottom left corner of the first image and the water. I can't tell if that is a small berg in the water or if it's an ice stack sitting on the rock.

I know HDR is trendy at the moment, but I really think that it rarely helps a landscape photo. I want to see how the light falls over the land and I want a sense of scale with that glacier, but the lack of depth, shadow and highlights takes away some of the awe I'm sure you experienced while you were there.

Last edited:
Yeah, these are tonemapped. I see your points. I can try again without tonemapping.

It was an awesome sight indeed. Thank you for good critique, forkie!

Pretty unreal colors, but lately looks like we like to live in fantasy, so why not. For me best compo is in Breen 4. I like low shots with short lens :blushing:. Too bad, that clouds are interfering with the top edge if the glacier. Can you do something about it ?

Definitely do it without the tone mapping. It's hard for me to distinguish what is what and it hurts my eyes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back