Camera in extreme cold: The result.

Good report....and ironically, very timely.

After reading a "cold weather" thread in another section a few weeks back I was intriuged with the abilities and performance of my Nikon D300 (also a Nikkor 18-200 lens). I specifically ventured out in the cold just to see how the gear would perform.

This past Sunday (Jan 25) I skipped out south of town to the Lone Rock area. Some of you may recognize the name: it's where that meteorite landed back in November of 2008.

Weather conditions for the afternoon: clear, cloudless, sunny, temp of -22C to -28C with a windchill temp of -31C to -40C. Wind from 15-20 k/hr.

I was dressed for the conditions: Sorels, (layered) t-shirt, hoodie, warm snowboard jacket, toque and the thinnest of wool gloves (for dexerity) that I borrowed from my sweetie.

Over the course of 4 hours probably 3 of those were spent outside tromping through knee-high snow. The kind of snow that has a 2-3" crust on top that almost holds your weight and underneath is light/fluffy snow. The remaining hour was in the truck driving from location to location.

The camera performed perfect. I was curious to see if the cold would have an impact on the AF abilities knowing it can stiffen up the lubrication. No problems at all. Also, all displays and functions peformed well. Battery was fully charged at the beginning of the adventure and indicated 1/2 at the end. I fired off about 150 frames during this time.

The only problem I experienced was fogging of my eyeglasses when my face is crammed against the eyepiece! That was to be expected, as well as the frost buildup on my beard and moustache.

The duration my D300 spent out in the cold was less than your D200, Garbz. My gear didn't seem to be affected by the temps anywhere near yours was. Perhaps a few degrees warmer and slightly less time spent in the elements are a sign of a cutoff of how long these cameras can last in the chill?

Good to hear you had the opportunity to experience chilly temps (your description was very accurate!) and great to see you had the opportunity to expereince the Columbia Icefield. I love that place!

one image from the shoot:

DSC_2011steel-1.jpg

Cold steel (abandoned threshing machine from the turn of the 20th century)

Last edited:
So, what did you think of the place? Gorgeous, huh?

Absolutely spectacular. I will come again in a few years that's very certain!

Nice write-up. You, um... might wanna be more careful about your extremities. :)

Thermal Underwear. If I had to take just one thing with me, that would be it! :lol:

slapshot™;1518539 said:
Battery was fully charged at the beginning of the adventure and indicated 1/2 at the end. I fired off about 150 frames during this time.

That is a pleasant surprise since both cameras use EN-EL3e batteries. I guess that maybe the D300 body is better insulated than the D200. Both are metal but I am sure the rubber grips and internal layout make a big difference too. The LCD performing better is less of a surprise given that the LCD in the D200 is visually quite outdated when both cameras are side by side, but eventually this would freeze. It would be interesting to know the limits of the D300 for that. Though in my engineering times I have seen LCD panels specifically rated for cold weather.

Really interesting. You're making me consider the implications of my own trip elsewhere. Rather than hi-jacking this thread I'm off to start a new one.

But Garbz - an Aussie venturing into the extremest colds? You're a nutter mate. :)

Autofocus (18-200mm): After 2 hours the autofocus became notably slower and louder. I would assume that the gearing is to blame here. Several times it failed to reach the infinity focusing point despite clear contrast and bright conditions. The camera was trying to move the AF because otherwise it would focus hunt before displaying the AF fail indicator.

It's not the gears, it's the lubricant in the gears or focusing tracks. At those tempratures the lubrication will begin to freeze making worse than if it where not even there. I was once using a manual 400mm in -1 or -2F with -12 F windchill, after about ten minuets the focusing ring took everything I had to move. It made this picture a challenge, It prolly would not have AF'd if it where an AF lens it was so stiff.

Absolutely spectacular. I will come again in a few years that's very certain!
Come back when it's not winter, well have a meet up.

Well it nearly failed, can't get much more extreme than that. Plus Vancouver doesn't have such stupidly cold winters every year. (Actually I arrived about a week after it ended, to me the Vancouver winter seems quite average :) )

Just funnin' witcha!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back